cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just installed Vista

Snarf
Grafter

Just installed Vista

Everything seems to be ok, drivers all there (had to install one for my Soundblaster). However, I'm getting connection errors to certain webpages in IE7 (I had IE7 under XP and all was good).

Is there something else I've forgotten to change? I thought there might be an error with the DNS servers. I've got the servers in my router (212.159.6.9 and 213.162.97.66), but I don't understand why some pages work fine and others don't at first (but then after a while decide that they will).

Any ideas?
3 REPLIES
N/A

Just installed Vista

You should have your dns setup on your network card. If you set that to the router the pc has to ask the router for th eip and then the router has to ask the dns for it which is 2 steps. If you have it set directly in your network card it only has to go the once
Community Veteran

Just installed Vista

I had simular problems at about that time last night, so it may be unrelated to Vista

Chilly
Snarf
Grafter

Just installed Vista

Yeah just read the thread about the DNS servers playing up a bit.

For what it's worth Vista isn't actually too bad - it's more secure, but that can be a bit annoying (you get asked every so often if you want to let certain programs run). It's also bad that the support for Directsound went, so my Soundblaster Audigy 2 is running on beta drivers that don't support EAX (the OpenAL drivers only support this for X-Fi cards at the moment).

What's also interesting is that svchost.exe hammers the hard drive on boot-up, it seems to be doing lots of I/O operations to various large files on different drives (almost like it's indexing, but I haven't asked it to index those drives).

Aside from those quirks and the one where every program I tried to run crashed (though I was running alot of stuff at the time) it actually looks very nice and has alot of good features (once I figured out how to work Media Centre).