cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joining two computers

N/A

Joining two computers

I've read a few of the threads on this subject and I've remained just as stuck and more confused than before.
each is slightly different to what I'm trying to achieve
My set up so far is I'm able to switch between each pc as I've set up a KVM switch - took some time as my Firewall and intrusion software (Prevex) kept interferring.
The set up I'm tring to achieve is as follows
One pc connects to the internet via a NIC and netgear router and to the other computer via a seperate nic card
PC two connects to the first computer via a nic with a crossover cable, but doesn't connect to the internet.
What I want to do is download a file check it out for "nasties" and then transfer to pc two to use or burn (back up)
I did get both pc's talking to each other but lost my internet connection so had to change the settings back to the original - now I cannot get both pc's to talk to each other
Any help - preferably step by step as this is not as easy as I imagined or at least for my limited intelligence it's not
5 REPLIES
N/A

Joining two computers

www.buzzons.co.uk/tutorials/network/network.htm

that will walk you threw a "how to setup your network" guide

Secondly, if you want to test things for nasties i recomend using a sandbox or test machine that runs VirtualPC / VMware so that you can just reload the image if somthing goes wrong
N/A

Joining two computers

Thanks I've read it before but does it not configure the set up to run through the router?
I'm tring to avoid that
All I want is one computer connected to another one with internet access one without!
So there will be a direct connection between each computer without passing through the router
If this is possible
N/A

Joining two computers

Your whole idea is flawed if you get the worm on the pc that connect to the net then there is a direct connection to pc 2 so it will just infect that as well.

If you want to set it up you need 2 ip ranges. On pc one on the nic that connect to the router use 192.168.0.0 range and on the second nic set to 10.0.0.1 subnet 255.255.255.0. The nic on pc 2 should be 10.0.0.2 subnet 255.255.255.0. If you wanted pc two to connect to the net your would set the default gateway to 10.0.0.1.

If your router is in the 10.0.0.1 range then use the other range for nic 2.

As you are not achieving anything by doing it this way its best just to plug it into the router
N/A

Joining two computers

yep ok here goes

PC1 - the box that goes to router and has 2 nics
PC2 - the other box

Router :
IP 10.10.10.1

PC1 NIC1
IP 10.10.10.2
gateway 10.10.10.1

PC1 NIC2
IP 192.168.0.1

PC2 NIC2
IP 192.168.0.2

now that should allow you to have PC1 <-> router, PC1 <-> PC2 but NOT PC2 <-> router

which i think is what you wanted.

NB both 192 and 10 are non routable internal ips, you can of course use a different ip range but these are just standard
N/A

Joining two computers

Thanks both for your replies most informative another piece of knowledge .
Cheers
Homely