cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Java locking PC up...

N/A

Java locking PC up...

Hi all,

I have sent numerous e-mails to Java about this problem and have yet to hear anything from them, I also dropped an e-mail too Microsoft, who even though it wasn't their product where very helpful, but alas it did not cure the problem, so they eventually told me to drop Java an e-mail... :roll:

My problem is, every time I use anything that has Java in it, when I close it completely locks up my system so I have to hit the reset button...

I have even tried to uninstall it completely but it gets so far and then locks up the system again...Sad

So if anyone can help I would be very grateful...

Thank you in advance for any and all help...

Andy...
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Java locking PC up...

Could you try an uninstall from "safe mode" ?
N/A

Java locking PC up...

Hi Seventhstar,

I have tried it but still locks up my system, I just don't know what to do...

I'd rather not re-format as everything else is working great and just as I want it, it's just this Java thing that's messing everything up...

Andy...
Community Veteran

Java locking PC up...

Hi Andy.

Can you try to reinstall it over the top of the previous? Or have you the same probs doing this?

What version have you got installed?

When did the problem start? Could it have been after a secuity software update?
N/A

Java locking PC up...

Hi Seventhstar,

I think it's version 5, going by what it say's in the add/remove programs section in Control Panel, if I click to open the Java control panel, system locks up...

I think I tried to update it awhile back when version 6 came out but still did the samething, as for how long has it been going on like this, I honestly can't remember as it has been so long now...

I STILL haven't heard from the Java support, sent them an e-mail about a week ago (e-mail number 10 to be exact Evil )...

Seem's like anything I try to do it stop's me...

Andy...
Community Veteran

Java locking PC up...

Hi Andy

Well you are using the same version as I am.

Could you tell me what OS you are running?

What anti virus/ firewall/ etc?

Also, what's your graphics card? And what is the driver version you are using?

Do you ever get any blue screens/ error messages?
N/A

Java locking PC up...

Hi Seventhstar,

I really appriciate all this help, thank you...

OK, here's system spec's...: -

Win XP Home SP2
x2 Gigabyte 6800 Ultra Geforce SLi cards (Driver: - 81.98 - 7 Feb 2006)
ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard (with latest BiOS version: - 6.10.02 - All drivers up to date)
Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS Sound card (Driver: - 02.08.0004 - 24 Jan 06)
x2 Maxtor 160GB hard drives
2GB Mustek DDR 400 CL3 memory
Kaspersky Anti-Virus (all up to date)
Kaspersky Anti-Hacker Firewall

No Blue Screens - No error messages

Odd crash during game play but nothing major...

Hope that helps, let me know if you need anything else...

Andy...
N/A

Java locking PC up...

Try disabling all AA and AF settings in Nvidia Control Panel.

Try disabling SLi in Nvidia Control Panel

If this has just started to happen recently try to "Rollback" your graphics card/s drivers until the issue is cleared up.

I can almost say with certainty that this will be Display related, either with your drivers or just SLi in general. Try the above things and if it dont work try googling for "Java + SLi +Problems" also visiting the below website might help.

http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=661574

Please post if you have any success, good luck.
Community Veteran

Java locking PC up...

Hi Andy

Try what Phear says! It is the route I was going after I read up some stuff for you. Thats why I wanted the last info from you because I had read about Nvidia issues, but didn't want to go that way untill I knew your specs.

The page Phear links to is the exact page I was referencing! He just got it in first - I guess thats why he's a bright spark and I'm not! :lol: lol

This was the bit from that link that I was going to ask you to try:-
1. Start->Control Panel->System

2. Click the Advanced Tab
3. Click the Environment Variables button
4. Click the New button
5. For Variable name:_JAVA_OPTIONS
6. For Variable value:-Dsun.java2d.d3d=false
7. Click OK button.
8. Click OK button.
9. Click OK button.

Best of luck.
N/A

Java locking PC up...

Hi johnag4004

Go to this link
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301

Goto the part on the page that says "Download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility package now"

Click on it run this from location go thruogh the install.

After install click start / programs / windows install clean up.

This will show a list of software that was installed via windows installer.

Click on the version of JAVA you have. The "REMOVE" button showed now be hi-lighted, click on it and this will remove JAVA.

Restart PC - open my computer drive C: - program files - then delete folder JAVA.

Reinstall JAVA either from www.java.com or CD.

try JAVA to see if it works if not do you have Zone Alarm Firewall installed as this some times screws with JAVA close buttons etc.

Let me know how you get on.
N/A

Java locking PC up...

Hi all,

I'd just like to say a quick thank you to everyone that lent me a hand in getting this matter sorted...

I've finally manage to get rid of Java and I have decided to keep it off too, caused me waaaay too much hassle...

Thanks once again for all your help...

Best regards...

Andy...
shellsong
Grafter

Java locking PC up...

I'd have thought that Java is pretty important to have around even if you don't like it very much-- it's so ubiquitous! By all means keep ActiveX chained up in the kennel!
N/A

Java locking PC up...

Hi all,

Well today I bite the bullet and took a chance on re-installing Java, and so far so good (fingers crossed)...

I used their auto download and setup and everything went smoothly, and as I mentioned everything is behaving so far...

Will keep you posted...

Thank you all once again for all your help...

Andy...
N/A

Java locking PC up...

Erm the problems you where having where with version 5, version 6 came out a few days later fixing the problem. I had it myself. An alternative workaround was to reinstall the graphics cards drivers.