cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JPEG picture properties being lost.

N/A

Hi,

Just installed the "Gallery" and ImageMagick applications on my CGI space, with the help from previous postings. All works well but I have a problem with the pictures themselves.
The orignal pictures from my digital camera has lots of info about when and what the settings where when the picture was taken. But when I resize and reduce the quality in 'Fireworks' these attributes are lost. This happens with all the other picture editing tools I have. Obviously I have to reduce the size and storage needs so that I don't run out of web space.

Anybody know why, how it works and a way to maintain the info ? :?:

[Moderators note (by Thomas): Post moved, as it had nothing to do with CGI whatsoever.]
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

This is a problem with the retention of "Exif Data". Exif Data is data that is stored in the headers of your photographs... as you say, it contains lots of information regarding the settings used etc. Good photo-editing applications will retain the Exif Data through an edit for you, though beware that by "good" I mean Adobe Photoshop, things like that... Fireworks is not a photo editor! Smiley

If you don't have access to good photo editing software, try using a piece of software called "Exifer", which can be found at www.download.com. It allows you to back up Exif Data before you edit a file in another program, then restore the data if it's lost. Btw, Exifer is "postcardware".

Thomas
N/A

Better photo editing software.

Adobe Photoshop maintains the EXIF data. I use version 6 and 7, and both work perfect.
N/A

Thanks good people... I will review the software and start saving to buy Photoshop. I'm disappointed "Fireworks" doesn't do it.
At least I have the terminology to search the web now.

Regards
Kevin
Community Veteran

Btw, PhotoShop Elemets 2 (£70) will also do what you want. Smiley

Thomas
bhau
Grafter

You could always try The Gimp from www.gimp.org

It's an image manipulation program for linux, but there's a windows version of it that apparently does the same sort of thing as PhotoShop ('cept being free)

Bill
Community Veteran

I would recommend a program called Irfanview.

Its an image manipulation program that deals with practically every graphics format available, and is fantastic for all those resize/crop transformations.

Its also free, which rockes even more!

Barry.
N/A

Barry,

Thanks I had already been pasted the http://www.irfanview.com/ link via the "gallery" application website. I had posted the same query there on the assumption that people using a picture gallery product would know the answer.

I tried it last night and it did what I needed although it was a little complicated initially. I'm not convinced the compression routines are as good as fireworks but at least I keep the EXIF info. Which was the objective of the exercise.

It has certainly got me over the immediate problem. I would still have prefered to use fireworks but that seems a non-starter. I may give 'PhotoElements II' a trial run to see if I want it on my list to Santa.

Regards
Kevin :lol: