cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it safe?

home99
Grafter

Is it safe?

to turn off all software firewalls when using a hardware firewall, ie netgear 834G.

I have a desktop hardwired to the router and a laptop connected via a wireless connection. The only way I can access file sharing is by turning off all software firewalls.

I have to admit I fell quite unsure about this.

Anyone care to comment?
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

Is it safe?

The obvious first question is which firewall are you using as this shouldn't stop file sharing on the network
The other thing to check is whether the XP firewall is enabled as well as the software firewall as this can cause problems.
Community Veteran

Is it safe?

You should use both hardware and router/hardware based firewalls.

A router firewall protect you from incoming connection attempts but allows outgoing through without restriction. Software firewalls can protect both outgoing and incoming connection attempts but it's the outgoing protection that you need to be running it for.

In order to get P2P running you may need to configure your P2P app's port, your software firewall and most likely configure port forwarding on your router firewall to direct all P2P incoming connection attempts to thr PC running your P2P client.
Community Veteran

Is it safe?

I see a little confusion here. Is the problem P2P or File and Printer sharing on the local network. I assumed the latter.
home99
Grafter

Is it safe?

The firewall being used on both is Zonealarm (free version). I am not using XP firewall.

It is file sharing I am having a problem with. Only when I turn off both of the software firewalls can I see the networked folders.
Community Veteran

Is it safe?

You need to add the IP address of the other PC in the trusted zone of ZoneAlarm before you can see the other PCs shared folders. I.e. PC1 has PC2s IP in ZA trusted zone and PC2 has PC1s IP address in it's ZA trusted zone.
home99
Grafter

Is it safe?

Cheers Peter,

Am i correct in assuming that the IP addresses will remain the same?

Also how do I find out each IP address?

Apologies for the ignorance!
Community Veteran

Is it safe?

If you go into the router setup and select attached devices it should give you all the info you need
home99
Grafter

Is it safe?

Thanks everyone it appears to be sorted - I appreciate it Smiley