cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is CPU stuffed??

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Is CPU stuffed??

I have a satellite Pro A10, that shuts down during installation of Windows. The install gets to the part where I need to select the HDD to install on, then the system just powers down. I can restart immediately, and the sdame thing happens.

If I enter the BIOS everything is detected OK, and I have upgraded to the latest version (V1.4). ALso when in the BIOS the system will stay powered up forever and a day!! and not shutdown. I have a couple of diagnostic CDs, but when running tests the same thing happens, but I have run the seagate diagnostic tool and the HDD passes OK, as does the main board, but cannot run detailed tests as the system shuts down during the tests.

I suspected an overheating issue,and after removing the CPU cover, and the heatsink, I found a dusty vent, and lots of gooey heatsink compound covering the CPU. Also the CPU die appears blackened around the edges.(see images on my webspace)

( hope its Ok doing thisHuh) Can anyone advise if this chip is stuffed or not?http://www.hesketh14.plus.com
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

Is CPU stuffed??

Have you tried running memtest from a boot disk
Community Veteran

Is CPU stuffed??

hi, no i havnt, but will try it, what should i be looking for?
Community Veteran

Is CPU stuffed??

reported memory errors - basically this a test of your system memory
have a read here http://www.memtest.org/ and here http://www.techspot.com/vb/all/windows/t-62524-Tutorial-How-to-use-Memtest.html
Community Veteran

Is CPU stuffed??

I will give it a whirl. Does that CPU look Ok to you then??. Seen alot of CPUs in my time but never one that looks like that.
Community Veteran

Is CPU stuffed??

I am not familiar with these processors but it certainly looks very nasty
One thing which does surprise me is that the over temperature sensor didn't kick in to protect the processor if it was an overheating problem
It would still be worth cleaning the surface of the processor and the heat sink with a proper cleaner then putting a decent thermal compound in and running some more tests (I always use Arctic silver) as it might just (faint hope I think) be a thermal interface cooling problem and the thermal cut out is tripping the system.
N/A

Is CPU stuffed??

Its not making much sense as it appears to happen when go for the HD so you need to isolate what the problem is.

Forget any test for the moment either get some dos boot disk or get a linux live cd.
Boot disk you can get from http://www.bootdisk.com/

and linux from http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php

try booting from these and see if the system runs ok if they look for the HD and it then fails remove the hd.

If these run ok for more than 30 mins you know the system is ok and its HD connected.

You may be able to boot from a dos disk and it may stay up ok as its using on 640k ram so if its a memory problem and its the top bit of memory it might be ok. As dos isnt graphical it may run ok if its a video fault.

Thats were the linux comes in as that should test the ram just by using it.

Why did you reinstall windows did something happen before to give problems?
Community Veteran

Is CPU stuffed??

It appears to happen fairly randomly, but I agree the tests you have suggested sound like a plan! I have tried the memory in my other laptop, with all its memory removed, and it appears to be fine, not had any issues at all. Will piece together the other laptop, and see what a DOS disk does and a linux live CD. Only think i can think of is, I tried the seagate Boot disk, and the HDD appeared to be fine from this. Will do some tests and let you know how I get on. Thanks for the advice.

BTW, the laptop had not been used for a while (a few months), and I just decided to do a clean install, and start again, as it had alot of crud on it.
Community Veteran

Is CPU stuffed??

absolute alcohol is ideal for cleaning the gunk off the cpu before carefully covering the area with arctic silver paste.

get some compressed air to blow through the spaces you can't get at.

get a laptop cooler. they cost about £5 to £8 these days and will cool the laptop by a good 10 degrees.

your pic is a bit blurred and it does look as though the cpu has been overheating somewhat, but the good news is that it doesn't look any worse than mine did (dell inspiron 510m), which had a black residue some way around the cpu and on its cover.

this came off sweetly with absolute alcohol and the machine is now running well. gkrellm (sensor in pclinuxos) is telling me that the temp is 43C, so it's due for a dusting, which will bring it down to around 35C.

good luck.
Community Veteran

Is CPU stuffed??

Hi

I actually posted the pictures to Intel support and they state the CPU is meant to look like that. I have cleaned off all the gunk with heatsink compound cleaner, and am awaiting 2 screws for the heatsink, then I will put arctic silver as a compound and piece back together, and see what happens!!. Will also run preliminary tests as suggested by mwright.

Cheers guys

Chris
Community Veteran

Is CPU stuffed??

Just an update guys.

I took the laptop to bits, and give it a through cleaning. Remade the Heaksink connection to the CPU with Arctic Silver, and all appears fine. Had it running a full memtest with no issues, and plenty of benchmarks from a boot diagnostic CD I downloaded, no shutdowns at all. Thanks for all the advice guys, it was much appreciated. It appears after all it was an overheating issue, or maybe a poorly seated RAM module.