cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Bluetooth Encrypted

N/A

Is Bluetooth Encrypted

I have done a search of Google and the information I found went straight over my head regarding Bluetooth security.L know when you use Bluetooth with a mobile phone the phone (loosely speaking) encrypts the message.But what about if I use a Bluetooth headset, along with a Bluetooth dongle to engage in video conferencing.Can the signal between the headset and dongle be intercepted and read or for that matter between the headset and phone.

In other words do Bluetooth devices encrypt information before sending it?

Daft question probable but as my Mac does not have a Mic input and I already have a Bluetooth headset I was thinking of getting an inexpensive Dongle and was wondering about any security issues that may crop up.
3 REPLIES
Denzil
Grafter

Is Bluetooth Encrypted

Dunno about encryption but Bluetooth has a very short range. Anybody listening in would have to be in the room with you, so it would be fairly obvious. Smiley
N/A

Is Bluetooth Encrypted

Thats what I thought...... but when I was experimenting with the Bluetooth dongle on my Mac to try and transfer a new dial tone to my wifes Orange SPV C500, and I set the software to search for Bluetooth devices it not only found her phone but also a Nokia N70 (I think it was N) with an interesting name which I won't put here as I don't want to see a blue censored notice :-) somewhere nearby and I live in a block of flats and given the range of Bluetooth gives a possability of 3 flats or maybe more it could be in.Hence my wondering about security.Interesting
N/A

Is Bluetooth Encrypted

A group of technicians once managed to pick up a bluetooth device from a mile away using a home made antenna so you should always be careful of who is around even if the range of your phone is only 10 meters or so.

Encryption will soon be mainstream with the recent scare of phone details being downloaded from mobiles without the owner's knowledge

Below is a link about bluetooth encryption and security that may satisfy your question

http://www.niksula.hut.fi/~jiitv/bluesec.html