cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ipod And USB2 Problems

N/A

Ipod And USB2 Problems

Hi Guys
I have bought myself a new 20 Gig ipod and have had to buy from the Apple store a Firefire to USB2 connection, I got the lead today at last and cant get the lead to work properly.
I have a brand new DELL 4600, 3.6Gig chip with 512 Memory can anyone help at all please its Miffing me off big time and I am no computer expert sadly!
Peace
Andrew.
36 REPLIES
N/A

Ipod And USB2 Problems

What's the problem? Does anything happen when you connect the lead to the iPod? Have you installed the software/followed the instructions which came with the iPod?
Community Veteran

Ipod And USB2 Problems

What is the 'Firefire to USB2 connection'. It it a card fitted to your PC or a special cable that goes between your USB port and the iPod's firewire interface port?

Are you sure the iPod can't connect directly to a USB port? i.e. are you sure you needs the firewire to USB connector/cable/PC card?

What windows version are you using?

What version of USB port do you have or are using. There are 2 types, USB 1.1 and USB 2. Maybe you have USB 1.1 and the cable requires USB 2 - check the documentation that came with the cable/card and what type of USB connectors you have in your PCs manual?

When you connect the iPod to your PC do you see anything happen on the iPod or on the PC?

Have you read all the instructions on syncing the iPod with the PC and for any software you need to install on the PC?

Cheers

Peter Cool
N/A

Ipod And USB2 Problems

Good evening All
I have a brand new Dell 4600 computer as I said, I have no fire wire ports or cards installed on the machine, it has 2 USB 2 ports on the front with other at the back.
I had to buy a Firewire to USB 2 lead to connect the ipod to the dock and UBB2 port.
I am running XP and nothing is happening when I connect the lead, I have all the software installed and a Program called MUSICMATCH jukebox is meant to
open up automatically when the ipod is connected.
Can anyone help please as when I got ADSL last week from plusnet and plugged in the USB for the modem that worked fine, what could the problem be as both the computer, ipod and lead are all brand new.
Peace
Andrew.
N/A

Ipod And USB2 Problems

Have you verified the USB port you are connecting to works?

On my own motherbord, I can control which USB ports are operational via the BIOS. This provides 6 ports that can be switched on or off in groups of two.
N/A

Ipod And USB2 Problems

Hi Phillip

Have you verified the USB port you are connecting to works? "

How do I do that please, sorry for sounding stupid but I dont know much about the workings of a computer!
Peace
Andrew.
Community Veteran

Ipod And USB2 Problems

Try unplugging your USB ADSL modem and use that port to see if the iPod is detected - you know that port works Cheesy

You can also try the ADSL modem in the USB port you tried the iPod in. It does not matter what USB port you use for either and you can switch equipment around without problems.

Also what is the exact model number of your iPod?

Cheers

Peter Cool
N/A

Ipod And USB2 Problems

I think the protocol (method of communication) between USB and Firewire is different. I suspect that simply using a USB to Firewire conversion cable will not work unless the device (Ipod) automatically detects which protocol to use. I doubt it does.
N/A

Ipod And USB2 Problems

Hi
the firewire to USB2 lead is what Apple sells to connect the ipod to a PC so it should work.
My ipod is the 3rd issue slim one.
Peace
Andrew.
Community Veteran

Ipod And USB2 Problems

My ipod is the 3rd issue slim one.

Unfortuneatly, a description of it's size is not enough to identify it properly. I need to know the specific model number so I and others can look up it's specs and connection capabilities. Anything on the packaging, invoice etc. What exactly did you purchase?

Also is there anything that will identify the Firewire to USB cable, again anything on the invoice, packaging etc.

Cheers

Peter Cool
N/A

Ipod And USB2 Problems

Hi Peter
the black box says...
ipod 20GB
(1P)part no M9244b/a

Serial no U23423y3PNT

And the invoice says...

MAC59322 ipod 20GB PC MAC MP3 Player Firewire
Serial no as above

The lead from Apple Computer International

M9126G/A ipos firewire USB 2.0 CABLE-GEN

Is that any help?
This is driving me nuts, all that money and I cant use the flipping thing. :-(
Peace
Andrew.
N/A

Ipod And USB2 Problems

Have you charged the iPod first? I think you're meant to charge it for the x amount of time it needs before plugging it in (though I can't quite remember).
N/A

Ipod And USB2 Problems

Hi
that was the 1st thing I did when I got it home.
Peace
Andrew.
N/A

Ipod And USB2 Problems

Very strange. I assume the iPod will turn on (though obviously it has no songs on it)? And this cable, let me just make sure I've got it right: At one end it just plugs into the iPod as normal, and at the other end it has a USB (2) connection?
N/A

Ipod And USB2 Problems

Hi again
no the firewire plug go`s into the dock with the ipod sits in and the USB2 go`s into a USB slot on the computer.
Peace
Andrew.