cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet sharing with out the long cable?

N/A

Currently i share the internetconnection between a laptop via a long ethernet cable. I want to get a wireless network card for both the pc and the laptop. Looked on ebuyer and choose a pci one for my pc and a usb one for the laptop.

Would this work
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=4...

Pci one

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=6...

Usb one

Thanks all
10 REPLIES
N/A

I would get a pcima rather than the usb. The wg111 only supports wep which is not very sercure. The wg111 is intended for use in networks with out an access point (ad-hoc). However if you are not that worryied about sercuity and/or the wireless signal won't get outside your house it is fine.
N/A

I also would get a pci for the laptop but i am not gonna bother trying to open up the laptop as it aint mine. The laptop as a wi fi port on it. Any use this?Huh
N/A

pcima not pci. Most laptops have slots on the side to take them. See
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=2344911040&action=c2hvd3N1YmNhdGVnb3J5X3BhZ2U=.... What kind of wirless if it is Centrino is only 8.0.11b only a 10meg 11g is 54meg
N/A

The laptop is a pentium 4 not a centrino
Community Veteran

likely, The correct name is pcmcia (or pc card) not pcima so f you use that name it should stop any future confusion

Pcmcia are small credit card sized devices that usually plug in the side of a laptop (they usually have 2 slots (possible covered) to support 2 pcmcia cards or 1 double size cardbus card).
N/A

The link is ebuyer pcmica wirless network cards. What confusion?
Community Veteran

This...

I would get a pcima rather than the usb.

pcima not pci.

And extreme17 thinking you are talking about a pci card due to your incorrect name for pcmcia.
N/A

I think i no what your on about now the pcima what eva. There is a slot on the pc were there is sumert that slides out is this the pcimaHuh
michaelscott
Grafter

PCMCIA aka 'PC Card' slot is the credit-card sized slots commonly found on laptops.

PCI is the white expansion port on desktop computer motherboards.
N/A

I no what a pci is as i hace fitted sound cards and network cards on my pc before. Just never heard of pcmcia. I have found the pcmcia slot now any way. Thanks