cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet explorer problem - this has really stumped me!

Community Veteran

I usually use firefox ans it is set as my default browser however as you know there are a few sites that wont let you in without Internet explorer, I tried to visit one such site and found that everytime i open a page in internet exporer it opens it in firefox, IE loads fine but as soon as it loads up any pages at all it just goes straight to Firefox and loads it there, I haven't installed any software today or changed any settings and I have checked everything but it is just not working at all. It loads up correctly and usually loads up the MSN start page but from then on it just loads everything else into firefox.

Any Idea?
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

anyone wanna help? pretty please?!? this is gettin me annoyed as I can't do windows updates! and i hate using the auto update tool
Cloudmaster
Grafter

Try Start >> Set Program Access and Defaults. See if you can find anything in there
Community Veteran

nothing has changed, this is what is confusing me, i have not installed or changed any settings, internet explorer opens fine and when i open any website it goes into firefox, I have had a look in my registry to see if there is something there, one thing I haven't tried is opening a site from windows file explorer, I will do that when I get home from college!
Community Veteran

right I am still in college but I used TightVNC to connect to my computer and check those settings, everything is still the same as it always has been and when it opens firefox when i type an address in windows file explorer.
N/A

:idea: Have you tried unticking the box in IE6 that checks for default browser. Do this first then start up IE6, then whilst there check the box again and close down and restart IE6, it should ask you then to be default browser. This may help.
It is in Tools-Internet Options-Programs.
Community Veteran

yeah done all that, think i might reinstall internet explorer and firefox and see if that works
holdtight
Grafter

I did have similar problems between the two and found the solution for me
was to keep IE as the default browser and carry on using firefox as normal

Although probably not ideal for some as you cant use the favourites menu
without it starting IE but this doesnt bother me as i open firefox from the desktop
and go straight to bookmarks anyway

i suppose it depends on how important the fav menu is to you
N/A

Get the User Agent Switcher extension for Firefox. Then Firefox can pretend to be IE. This works fine with my bank, for example.

Eric
holdtight
Grafter

Just out of interest which bank are you with Eric ? i use online banking with barclays using firefox and dont need the User Agent Switcher extension to be able to use it infact i dont have it installed at all

Luckily at the moment the only time i ever need IE is when i go and scan for updates through MS the rest of the time its firefox only Smiley
N/A

Just out of interest which bank are you with Eric ?

I'm with the Royal Bank of Scotland. They recently 'improved' their online banking service so that it doesn't work with several common browsers (unless the browser can be configured to lie about its identity).

Eric