cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet connection sharing help needed!

N/A

I have two Win 2000 PCs connected via a wireless (ad-hoc) network. However the only way I've managed to get the two to share files is to assign IP addresses to each.

The problem with this is (I believe) if you want the client PC to share the host's internet connection is to set it to obtain an IP address automatically. Is there any way around this? Or should I set up my PCs differently?

Also, is it possible to set up both/either PCs to share internet connection (so if PC 2 is connected, PC 1 can also connect and vice versa)?

Thanks in advance...
1 REPLY
N/A

both pc's need to be in the same range. Assign pc one 10.0.0.1 subnet 25.255.255.0 set the dns to +nets dns set pc two to 10.0.0.2 subnet 255.255.255.0 set the dns to +nets. If pc one has the modem on it then set pc two to have a default gateway of 10.0.0.1 (the ip of the other pc).

That should do it you cant change the connection ie put the modem on the other pc without changing all the settings.

To share the net for both pc's the best way is to get a router which make slife easier.