cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Connection Sharing will not install OK.

forestv

For over a year I have had ICS running with USB broadband on a WIN98 system with two other WIN98 systems connected via old fashioned ethernet co-ax. All was well until I bought a wireless WIN/XP laptop and decided that I would like to create a wireless sub-net and try to use the same ICS connection. (I'm not sure that this is possible with WIN98 - but I had a go, including adding some of my own lines to the ROUTE table. But no success. In the process I messed up ICS for the non wireless machines and in trying to get back to my original set-up I find I cannot re-install ICS correctly.

ICS appears to install OK but I no longer get
TCP/IP(Home) -> Ethernet Card
TCP/IP(Shared) -> Dial-up Adapter
but just the normal TCP/IP associations to the network adapters. In this state not even the base ICS system can connect to the internet. It dials out OK and connects but does not reach any web sites. If I remove ICS the connection from the base machine is fine.

I have tried all the potntial fixes I could find on the Microsoft site and on the practiallynetworked site, including restetting registry settings, but I always end up with (Home) and (Shared) missing from the TCP/IP properties.

Can anyone shed any light on the problem?
4 REPLIES
N/A

If you can connect to the net whenn you remove ICS do that first and ensure you can connect ok.
Forget ICS as it often screws thing up. You want the ip of the pc with the modem connecting to the net. (start CMD ipconfig /all for XP or winipcfg for 9Cool

Having found that set the other pc's IP to the next ip by adding one to the last number so if pc one is 10.0.0.1 set pc 2 to 10.0.0.2 and 3 to 10.0.0.3. If its 192.119.131.1 then choose 192.119.131.2.

Make sure the subnet is the same for every pc set the defauly gateway on pc's 2 and 3 to the ip address of the pc with the modem (this is the magic bit that makes it work) Set the dns on each pc reboot and it should all work.

If it doesnt post the results of ipconfig/all for each pc.
forestv

Thanks for the prompt reply. The system does connect when ICS is not installed and I have temporarily got around the problem by installing ICS and the modem on one of the other systems. All are working reasonably well but the line seems to be dropping quite frequently at present.

I will let things settle down for a day or two before trying to use my main systen to connect and utilizing your suggestions. Do you think it could handle two subnets connected to the modem's system?

Thanks again
N/A

there would be no point in using 2 subnets but it would work but if you are having difficulty connecting then why complicate it.

If it keeps droping the line this could be the MTU setting which you may need to change there is plenty of info on the forums about setting mtu
forestv

Think I need two subnets as one would be for the ethernet cable connected systems and one would be for the ad-hoc wireless link between my laptop and one of the desktop systems.

Thanks for the advice to look at MTU - but the line dropping seems to be dependent on the weather. Yesterday was stormy and the line dropped regularly. Today is fine and so is the connection. (Similarly the connection was bad last week during the storms on Friday)