Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internal Card Reader Problem

Haylamar
Dabbler

Hi everyone,

I wonder if you can help me and I'm sorry if this goes on a bit...

I've got a temperamental internal card reader. At the moment - it is not recognising any cards that I put in - although the red light is coming on to show that there is a card in there. All it says on the front of it is usb 2.0 high speed and it seems to be joined in with the disk drive.

I have a card reader on my printer which works fine with my two cards and the reader was working fine until last week. I did a system restore to the day before I knew it was working properly but alas to no avail.

I used to have a c:\, a:\, d:\, e:\ and f:\drives. Now I only have the c:\, a:\ and d:\. I assume that the card reader was my f:\ or e:\ drive. Not sure what those two were to be honest.

When I go into device managers there are no unusual exclamation marks.

The problem was fixed a few weeks ago when everything was unplugged from the back, and then plugged in again, but I've tried that again this time and it hasn't solved the problem.

The PC was built for me and I running Windows XP, with AMD Sempron 3000+ processor, 1.81ghz and 1.0GB of RAM. The guy is going to replace the reader for me but he's taking his time!

Would be great if I could have a few pointers and see if I can fix it myself (which is normally the case!).

Haylamar Cheesy
6 REPLIES
Denzil
Grafter

It sounds like you have done all you reasonably can by checking drivers and reconnecting. Just one thought - if this is an internal reader it is normally connected to an internal USB port on the motherboard. Open the case and make sure this is connected.

Otherwise get it replaced or just buy a new one - I bought a combined reader and floppy drive from ebuyer for about £12.
jmart
Grafter

An internal USB port normally ties up an external one so that you can't use it. If you've got an empty slot on the back try moving the cables to different ports. Sounds like that could be the problem:
The problem was fixed a few weeks ago when everything was unplugged from the back, and then plugged in again, but I've tried that again this time and it hasn't solved the problem.
Haylamar
Dabbler

Hi,

Thanks for your responses.

I have tried taking out the usb leads to see if they are conflicting but the card reader drive still doesn't appear.

I am thinking about plucking up the courage to take the side of the tower - but not sure if it will be unplugged as when I put a card in the red light comes on and the pc 'rumbles' to let me know it's thinking about something (I'm sure there is a computer term for this!) but no autoplay menu appears and no new drive appears.

Perhaps I'll hassle my PC man some more (still haven't heard from him)and try and get it sorted once and for all.

Hayley
Denzil
Grafter

The red light and 'rumbling' (activity from the hard drive) suggest it is plugged in, which just adds to the probability that the reader is faulty.
N/A

Hi Hayley,

I have an added in 3.5" drive bay card reader, connected to an internal USB connection (on a USB 2.0 PCI expansion card).

On my XP SP2 system - the four individual card slots appear as four "Removable Disk [G:]" etc, in "My Computer" even with no memory cards plugged in.

Not sure if this observation helps in any way.

I'd be inclined to take the side off the PC and disconnect, then reconnect, the card reader's USB connection and see what happens. You should be able to do this with the machine running, as USB connections are mostly "hot swapable"

[N.B. Never disconnect any USB drive while it is being accessed].

Mark.
Community Veteran

You should be able to do this with the machine running

I wouldn't!

IMO any work on mobo connections whilst the pc is running is very risky. If the mobo isn't very well supported under the point of connection, then when re-seating said connection it could touch down against the case itself causing a short circuit and possibly a fried mobo.

I would be more inclined to download the latest USB drivers for your mobo, then goto device manager and remove all the USB devices. Reboot and then install said drivers. All devices connected should then re-install and hopefully fix your probs.