cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing second hard drive

N/A

I have just installed a 2nd hard drive (Hitachi HDS7280PLAT20) onto my Evesham 1900+RK running under Windows XP.
The original drive was set for Cable Select, so I have set this 2nd drive the same. CMOS identifies it ok, I have set the 2nd disk up and transferred data to and read it from the drive, however is this the best way of setting it up?

TIA
John
10 REPLIES
N/A

It's easier than having to set the jumpers on each hard drive. If it works then no worries.
N/A

Thanks you for that prompt and informative reply.
N/A

In my mind cable select would be the prefered setup, these days more and more is being controlled via the bios and software. It makes is easier and quicker to get up and running.
N/A

The CS option of a drive is infact the simplest method these days. Provided you have a proper ATA cable, it will depend on which connector you use for the drive, as to which is Primary and which is Slave.

This allowed makers to ship drives in CS mode, and the user in most cases to add to the spare connector, and thus alsmost instantly remaining setup correctly.
shermans
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

May I ask a subsidiary question ?

I have an old laptop which I use as a spare / convenience system. The hard disk is very noisy (IBM Travelstar) and so I decided to swap it for another Travelstar which I had knocking about (I have an adapter which allows me to plug it into my main laptop which I then I use to back up). The original Travelstar just has a jumper and four terminals. The instructions simply show one setting with the word "Jumper" and nothing else. The second hard drive looks identical but the instructions on the label show settings for the jumper for "1" and for "Cable Select". I assume that "0" is without any jumper attached at all.

When I replace the old hard disk with this newer one, the laptop does not see it at all, no matter how I set the jumpers. In fact, it does see it as "O" when I leave the jumper off altogether, but it records only 8 Gb instead of 10.5 Gb and still will not boot up. I assumed, perhaps naively, that all Travelstar hard disks were interchangeable. Is there a difference between various models and in which case how would I know what to order if I wanted to buy a new one that is compatible with the original ? It is not good asking the OEM because they are an ex parrot !
Community Veteran

Seeing it as 8GB may be the clue here. Some early BIOSes have a limit on the drive size it will recognise and one of the limits was 8GB, so it looks like the BIOS in your laptop can't deal with drives > 8GB. Sometimes you can get a disk util that stores a small boot loader app in the drives boot sector. This boot loader adds functionalty to the BIOS so it can see the whole of the drive. I have only ever seen them for normal desktop drives though.

You may want to look to see if your laptop has a later BIOS which may be able to detect larger disks but laptop BIOSes tend to be a lot less limiting than normal PCs. You may also need to check what the max size drive the laptop can handle so look up your laptop on the manufacturers website and see what it says.

unfortuneatly technology often goes beyond the capability of systems quicker than was originally planned.
shermans
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Thanks. I think you must be right. The original hard disk which I am trying to change is 6 Gb, and having looked at the manual the specification says the standrad fitted was only 2 Gb but I have never had anything as small as that in it, so it must have been shipped with the larger disk drive. It is an old machine but has never given any trouble and has been a useful "client" to my main machine on a simple LAN. It's not worth spending too much time or money on it, so I will just wait until the hard disk stops unless I can find a cheap 6 Gb. somewhere.
N/A

Here is a question about ata hard drives. I orded one for a new pc system. Just wondering are they any different to install windows xp on. I heard from some one that there harder to install.
Community Veteran

Do you actually know what ata means?

As a direct answer to your question, ata drives are not different or harder to install XP on than any other types of drive but I suspect you don't really understand what you are asking because the question makes no sense.

It is the ability of your mobo to recognise the drive that may be the issue, not the fact that it's an 'ata' drive. If the mobo does not detect the drive (or all it's size) properly, this could cause problems installing any Operating System.
the_norris
Grafter

The only hard part in installing XP or any OS on 'ata' drives is that if you have two or more drives setup in a RAID array via the BIOS. In this case you will need the RAID drivers on floppy disk to install XP. Press F6 when prompted to install extra storage drivers. The RAID drivers normally come on a disk with your motherboard,

Phil