cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing on linux

jabb0
Grafter

Installing on linux

Coming from windows the install process was a pretty mundane "keep hitting next till it installs" afair.

However on my new linux distrobution it seems to be a little hit and miss - which means i could be dioing something very wrong Shockedops:

I usually get a download, look for and install.sh, and try to run run it, if that doesnt work i tick the "run in terminal checkbox" if that doesnt work i place sudo before the commands next time, and if that doesnt work i give up.

Surely the whole system is a little more scientific than this?

Another thing is downloading the program in the first place, you see i am running ubuntu, and alot of the time i find that the software i want to download has got Binaries for nearly all other flavours, but not ubuntu.... so what are CVS / source code? and should i use this, and compile it?
Ok if i am making any sense by this stage... how do i compile stuff?

cheers
7 REPLIES
N/A

Installing on linux

Ubuntu is based on the Debian distribution. You can therefore try the Debian package (which is different from the rpm format used by all other distributions). I don't think Ubuntu is the best choice if you start with Linux. OpenSuSE or Mandriva could have been easier. For instance if you use the real Ubuntu (and not Kubuntu) you miss KDE and this environment is not obvious to install.

Most free software come with an INSTALL file explaining how to configure and compile it.
jabb0
Grafter

Installing on linux

What exactly is KDE?
Is it a relacement for Gnome, cos i quite like Gnome.

Man i spent ages weighing up which distro to install first, ubuntu got me cos the live install cd went so well, no doubt i will be trying others.

Would using the source downloads, ensure that it would work?
How do you compile the source?
Community Veteran

Installing on linux

KDE is an alternative to Gnome.

Compiling source is not a good idea if you are new to Linux, I also concur with the above that your distro is not the best for beginners. It may have been easy to install but it is one of the less well know distros so support will be a lot less than the likes of fedora core (Red Hat) or Suse.

I suggest you try and find some forums who specifically support your distro and ask questions there - use google to find them.
jabb0
Grafter

Installing on linux

I have managed to get all my hardware working.
everything is there.

The network is not a mjor concern,

It was just that in some cases i was confused in the difference between the source and the binary.. But really there are only a limited number of options when it comes to this, so i think i will try the debian install and the binary file to do it.

Then once i have the download - the actual install process can sometimes be little hit and miss, by this i mean, there is usually a install.sh file, which running usually starts the install rocess, but not always... wots up with that?
N/A

Installing on linux

I don't use Ubuntu, but you may find www.ubuntuforums.org helpful.
N/A

Installing on linux

If Ubuntu is Debian based, installing software should be a doddle.

Apparently, Ubuntu uses Synaptic. That's great. Find the Synaptic Package Manager and you should get a nice GUI to search for and install the software you want.

If the software you want isn't in the Ubuntu or the Debian repositories, then you may well have to compile from source. That means it's command line time.

What program are you trying to install, by the way?

If your file manager has an 'open directory in terminal' option, or something along those lines, that would be helpful. If it does, you could just type ./install.sh in the terminal window that appears, press enter, and see what's going on.

You'll find plenty of tutorials on how to compile software from its source code on the net. Personally I'd say there's no real need for you to switch to a Red Hat-based distro.
N/A

2 attempts spent this weekend

at downloading suse dvd 4gb a time and twice the files came down corrupted (tried different ftp clients) when it came to installing the software none of the packages registered

Gonna give it a miss this month as i may go over my SUP, or better yet ill get one of my geeky linux mates to lend us a copy

SUSE is supposed to be good though,