cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing Wireless LAN PCI Card tonight - please advise

N/A

Hi ,

I have just bought a new wireless LAN PCI Card and plan to install it on Red Hat Fedora tonight.

If the GUI (install wireless device) does not pick it up what do I have to do to get it working ?

TIA
7 REPLIES
N/A

Well,

Needless to say Linux didn't pick it up

i think i will either

have to search the net for the drivers - as it's a new and rather obscure card i don't think i will have much luck ,

otherwise i could return it and buy a 2nd hand one from e-bay that would have the drivers easily available on the net

......... any models out there that have easily available drivers Huh
Denzil
Grafter

My scanner doesn't work after installing Linux (but it was a cheap one, so no big deal). The rule seems to be to check the availability of drivers before buying hardware. Be careful about distribution and kernel version numbers to make sure the driver will work.
N/A

If your having trouble finding a linux based driver for your wireless card then their is a proggy called ndiswrapper that will allow you to use the supplied windows drivers under linux.

You can find it at sourceforge or just google it.

Ive just used it to get my Belkin F5D7000 wireless card to work and it has zero linux support.
It took a bit of doing but it works well.
N/A

hi i tryed using ndiswrapper - with win2k, and xp drivers

ndiswrapper -l lists the drivers and hw present ... but 'iwconfig' does not see it

you say - It took a bit of doing but it works well

.... what problems did you have ?

TIA
N/A

I had exactly the same problem iwconfig couldnt find wlan0

It turns out the latest version 1.1 didnt work for me, couldnt get 1.0 to compile at all so i went back to version 0.8 which solved everything.

Give it a try.
N/A

wireless card

I got a d-link 650 card working using the instrucctions on this website

http://www.houseofcraig.net/acx100_howto.php

and that was the first thing I'd ever done on Linux so it can't be that hard!
N/A

Ndiswrapper is purely for loading native windows drivers under linux for use with hardware that has no linux native drivers it will not work with the acx100 drivers which are native linux.

If you decide to get another card with native linux drivers make sure you fully remove ndiswrapper to avoid conflicts.