cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing Windows XP Professional

penneck
Grafter

Recently I purchased a second-hand pc which had two hard drives, one of which had Windows XP Professional installed. The seller was unable to supply a CD or COA for the XP, so I purchased a brand new XP Professional CD.

I wanted to install the new XP so that it overwrote the old XP. Unfortunately the installation process didn't give me any choice - it installed where it wanted to, and it decided to install on the second hard drive.

I have managed to remove the new load of XP from the second drive, but that has left me with two problems (1) when I boot up the pc, it tells me there are two XP Professional operating systems on the pc (though it doesn't get very far if I select the wrong one), and (2) how can I get replace the old XP installation with the new one?

I was told by a colleague that he regularly re-installs his XP. He has the operating system on one hard drive (CSmiley, and everythingelse on another hard drive. He reboots using an old bootup floppy disk (Win 95 I think he said), reformats his C: drive, and re-installs the XP. When I tried this, using a Win 98 bootup floppy, the pc denied all knowledge of either of the two hard disks.

Is there anybody out there in Plusnet-land who would be kind enough to suggest methods of solving at least problem number 2, and hopefully, problem number 1 will then solve itself.

Many thanks

Graham
4 REPLIES
vic_newey
Grafter

This is one way
disconnect the 2nd drive ,just the power connector & not the ribbon & then the system should show only one drive which is the one you want to reinstall XP on.

I have 2 hardrives & both have XP pro installed, I select which I want to load in the bios which takes 10 seconds. One drive is for work & the other, a 10,000 RPM is for play
N/A

You get a choice to format, tell it what drive to install on, etc etc when you do a manual install. Rather than booting into XP and sticking your CD-ROM in then, put the CD-ROM in as the PC is booting, if you put it in the right CDROM Drive (if you have 2 that is) it will say "Boot from CDROM? Press any key to continue.." or something like that.

All you have to do is hit enter, follow the screens that WinXP loads up to make it easier and you can do a format on both drives, setup the partitions and tell it which drive to install on etc... Its much easier than using a floppy disk or messing inside the PC.

See here for a better guide:
http://www.buildeasypc.com/sw/windows_xp.htm
N/A

also the reason you get two choices is cos your boot.ini file was edited

open it (c:\boot.ini -- hidden file) and remove the line you dont want.

also, you can format disks from the xp cd, or just use a boot disk from here :

http://www.bootdisk.com/

and run format c:
penneck
Grafter

Thanks to all. Have managed to overwrite original XP load with the new one, and it is working perfectly, apart from the bit where you have to register the new load using the product number on the new COA - however, that is another problem, and I have to phone MS about it.

Regards

Graham