cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing Ubuntu.

N/A

Installing Ubuntu.

I'm hoping someone can help me with a problem I have, I decided to try installing Linux on a second drive and am having trouble getting the installation to start. I have the DVD for Ubuntu 6.06 and everytime I start the install it loads the Kernel and returns to the boot window, I've looked in the Ubuntu forums and it appears that I need to disable ACPI but I can't see how to do this, I must admit to being a novice so if you can help please keep it simple, thanking you in advance, regards, Jack Charles.
10 REPLIES
shellsong
Grafter

Installing Ubuntu.

Add the argument "pci=noacpi" when you're in the bootloader
N/A

Installing Ubuntu.

Hi Shellsong, Thanks for your reply but I'm afraid you've lost me, what and where is the bootlogger? When I insert the DVD I get a window with around 6 options, I select install Ubuntu and the Kernel loads and then it returns to the same window with the options, whatever I do it won't go passed this point, regards, Jack Charles.
shellsong
Grafter

Installing Ubuntu.

Let's go for the basics-- I assume from what you have said that you have an already existing OS and plan to install Ubuntu to a fresh drive as a dual boot

Does this look familiar or useful http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/entry/2622/how-to_dual-boot_ubuntu ?
grimme
Grafter

Installing Ubuntu.

When you get the 6 options, is one of them 'safe mode'?

That's what I had to use in order to get my Ubuntu 6.06 CD to install onto my win98 desktop.
shellsong
Grafter

Installing Ubuntu.

"Sounds sensible to me", says he, never having used the new Ubuntu live CD! Wink
N/A

Installing Ubuntu.

Hi Shellsong, Thanks for your advice but unfortunately I've been without a computer for 4 days due to it crashing, eventually traced the problem to a HD going down for some reason (not connedted to Ubuntu) but now without 2cd. drive or backups so it's back to XP for me, regards, Jack Charles.
shellsong
Grafter

Installing Ubuntu.

If the HDD hasn't crashed completely and you have data that needs retrieving, you know it's sometimes possible to use a Linux live CD to recover data from it

Good luck with your endeavours anyway! Wink

Gerry
N/A

Installing Ubuntu.

Hi Gerry, I'm still not sure what the problem is with the drive, with it connected as slave the BIOS can't see either of my HDs, as soon as I disconnect it the master is seen. As the drive is only 6 months old I'm taking it back to where I bought it to get it tested hoping it is at fault otherwise I'm thinking motherboard. If you could give me information on recovering data using a Linux live disk I would be very grateful as all my backups are on this disk, regards, Jack Charles.
shellsong
Grafter

Installing Ubuntu.

This is one walkthrough explained fairly simply and using a USB drive to save stuff to, although of course you could use a second drive if it will coexist with the dodgy one.

Linux will quite often see drives that the BIOS can't see Wink

There are useful tools available under Linux that can assist greatly with data retrieval and Knoppix is a Linux distro that is particularly well regarded for this sort of task
N/A

Installing Ubuntu.

Thanks for all the help you've given me in attempting to solve this problem. At the moment I'm waiting to get a report on the stste of the drive. I'll keep your info. on using Linux and will try it when I know where I stand, regards, Jack Charles.