cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install SP2 or Broadband first?

comms

I intend upgrading to broadband on an XP Home PC with a network card.
MS SP2 has not been installed yet.
Is it best to carry out either Broadband or SP2 upgrade first?
Thanks
18 REPLIES
N/A

I personally have yet to install SP2 (waiting a little while for it to be as bugfree as possible) and have been fine. However, I'd suggest insuring you have a good firewall and anti virus package installed (many are available free - see the Essential Security Software tutorial). Also make sure you have all of the latest Windows Updates (including SP2 if you like, but not necessarily...).

If you follow these basic steps, you should be fine.
Community Veteran

Unless you have SP2 on a CD then wait until you are on Broadband.
If I recall the files total about 80mB now so would take forever to download on dialup.

I have updated to SP2 by downloading it and almost everything seems to work ok.
Just had one small problem with Xara Webstile which is used to produce images etc. Otherwise its been fine.
Del
Grafter

Microsoft will send anyone SP2 on CD, they say within 28 days but someone I know waited less than two weeks.

Here's the link:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx
holdtight
Grafter

The average time from everyone ive spoken to has been
4 - 6 weeks although this might have improved now that
the initial rush is dying down
comms

Thanks for the info. Been with Force9/Plusnet for many a year and this is the first I've used this area, being an absolute beginner with network stuff.

I was thinking more about conflicts between broadband installation and SP2 installation i.e. is it best to install one before other.
I have the SP2 disc and shall have broadband sometime in the next few days.

I guess that the setup of both the Linksys wireless router and SP2 are both automated and will give no problem.

Shall install broadband first and once I'm sure it is opearting OK, will think about installing SP2 in about a fortnight. In the meantime, I'm well covered with NAV firewall/antivirus + adaware & Spybot.
holdtight
Grafter

you should not get any conflicts with your broadband when you install SP2
but you might get conflicts in other areas

as an example when i installed SP2 all i got after reboot was the
dreaded blue screen
luckily i was well prepared and had an image of my C: drive so i was
up and running again in about ten mins

i tried to install it in a number of ways with the same result
my problem even went to 2nd tier microsoft tech support who had
no idea where the problem was

in the end i had to do a format and reinstall of xp followed by SP2
and its been running great ever since with exactly the same
hardware/software combination

thats an extreme example i know and im not trying to frighten you away
from installing it as it is of great benefit and there have been many installs
that have gone without error

what i am saying is be prepared and backup everything beforehand
N/A

XP SP2

I've also noticed a few of the high street PC magazines have cover CD's with SP2 on them......

Tim
octafish
Grafter

I've installed SP2 on a number of desktops and laptops and all with no problem whatsoever. As a rule I'd get SP2 installed first if I had the choice but as it hasn't adversely affected me in any of my updating it probably doesn't matter much.

Things can always go wrong and some machines can have so many glitches / file corruptions that installing a major upgrade like SP2 is almost bound to uncover them.

Using Drive Image or another disk imaging system before you start is extremely sensible advice. I have a number of disk images of my system partitions (OS, programs and data all separate) and update these every 3 days or so or after any major installation that turns out to be problem free. This give some peace of mind if a virus ever slips through or SP2 blue screens you.
N/A

Technically it's six of one half a dozen of the other as to whether you install SP2 first and then configure your broadband connection or vice versa. In your case since you are going to use a wireless router (and I presume a wireless PCI card in your PC) I personally would install the SP2 first before going online to take advantage of SP2's security enhancements and the improved WEP/WPA wireless security features.

For a fresh install of Windows the normal batting order for installation is:

1. Windows XP CD.
2. Chipset/AGP drivers.
3. Latest DirectX.
4. Video drivers.
5. Anti Virus.
6. 3rd party software firewall (if used).
7. Online Windows Critcal Updates.
8. Other device driver updates.
9. All other updates.

With DUN it can take forever to download 2 year's plus of Critical Updates. This time can be reduced by 99% if you slipstream SP2 onto the original installation CD.

I use this all the time and it saves me hours when building new machines.

See here for how to slipstream.
madswitcher
Grafter

Barsteward

Just to add to your procedure. I do something similar, but always have two hard drives installed and every couple of steps take a ghost image to the second drive. Having done it numerous times, it has been a life saver on several occasions when installations go not as expected and I've had to back something out.

I also take a ghost image about once a month or after a big update

my 2 cents worth

Cheers, Mike
N/A

Ahh Hastings - great minds think alike.

I used to netcast with Ghost to image my drives to other work stations in my network. However I found DOS networking a bit tiresome and time consuing, so I switched to Acronis True Image: far superior to Ghost. Let's me backup drive images in Windows and, if necessary, recover an image from a network share in Windows using an image recovery boot CD. Also allows me to do incremental drive image updates as a scheduled weekly task without having to logoff Windows (i.e. no master and slave running in DOS to worry about).
madswitcher
Grafter

Thanks for that

My version of Ghost is a bit old now. Maybe I'll have a look at the Acronis product.

Happy surfin'

Mike
octafish
Grafter

Except that..... Norton have bought out PowerQuest and so will, no doubt, include Drive Image's hot imaging of the C drive in their next release. they've already rebadged PQ's PartitionMagic as their own.

Steve
holdtight
Grafter

I agree with you barstewards true image is the way to go
its got me out of many scrapes that others havnt been able to
lets you back up and restore from almost anything and anywhere
including machines on a network

i too use a second hard drive and take frequent images
as part of a backing up process, Good stuff Cheesy