cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insect Infestation of LCD Monitor

N/A

I'm not kidding. I've got home from work to find dozens of tiny insects crawling on my screen.....on the inside of the monitor! It's quite offputting, although appreciate the little blighters won't live long. My only concern, apart from how the hell they got in there, is whether there is a possibility of any lasting damage.

I guess this might be one of the more unusual hardware issues this week for the techy people to answer! :lol:
15 REPLIES
N/A

I had a couple of thunderbugs under my screen, really wanna know how they got there! However they seem to have disapeard now, no idea where though.
Community Veteran

I have also suffered this problem with a thunderfly getting into the screen of a Toshiba laptop.

The bad new is when they die, they will stick to the screen and look like a row of dead pixels.

Chilly
N/A

The bad new is when they die, they will stick to the screen and look like a row of dead pixels.

Chilly

:x Good job it wasn't an expensive monitor I suppose.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Guess you'll have to raise it as a bug with the manufacturer.

Sorry - I just couldn't resist Cheesy
N/A

:roll: :lol:
Hopefully they will drop off and die at the bottom of the monitor.
craiglay
Grafter

If you wait a few weeks, you may be able to gently tap your monitor and sometimes they fall off. If not, there is no other way to get rid of them.

Its a pain in the ****
octafish
Grafter

I'd never even imagined this one. Something else to worry about. Thanks.

s
Slipperymack
Grafter

I have three of the little BUGgers stuck behind my screen since last summer - Have found if you leave them alone (and alive) they will vacate - the ones left behind my screen are the ones I tried to evict forceably!!!!! :mrgreen:
N/A

I had three waves of them, presumably due to eggs being laid in phases. As soon as one batch died and fell off the screen, a new batch appeared.

Rather than buy a new monitor, I just accepted they were my onw live screensaver and they have now all gone with only one mark where, like the previous message, I squidged one in anger. :lol:
N/A

The other day I was thinking what sort crazy people have bugs in their monitor, it's just not possible... now I have a Toshiba Laptop and NEC monitor to get the bugs out of D'oh!! :roll: They seem to be stuck between the TFT and the back light and have not moved for a week or so. I don't mind messing with electonics so I guess I'll have to take it appart and see what happens.
octafish
Grafter

This infestation is clearly the alien invasion that most of the gentlefolk of Idaho and other parts of the mid-West have warned us about over the last few years.

What you have to ask is having gone to all the trouble of abducting 80% of mid-West USA why they've then gone and given them all back.

The only safe response is to burn your monitor... now... before it's too late.
N/A

I hear Dell laptops have a built-in feature for this:
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=32550
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

OMG - just to think I am flying tomorrow and security are worred about us taking liquid explosives on board. I am going to be more concerned if someone was using a Dell with an old battery :shock:
N/A

I had thunderflies stuck in my toshiba lcd. i phoned the help desk and I ended up getting my money back.

Manufacturers should be aware that this could happen and design their products to ensure insects don't get into them.