cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Image downloads

N/A

Image downloads

I download a lot of pictures, and have noticed that these are now being saved in Bmp form instead of Jpg. I used to be given the option but now I can only receive Bmp. I have cleared Temp. files and this can solves the problem for half a dozen pictures and then it's back to Bmp again.
Any way to solve this problem, once and for all?
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Image downloads

Most broswers will save pictures in the format the originals are in. Are you sure all the pictures you are downloading are not actually .bmp files?

I don't beleive the broswer has the capability of converting between graphics formats so I suspect if it tries to save it as .bmp that is what the origial picture format is and if you save it as .jpg it won't be recognised when you try to open it.

If you right click on an image that is being saved as .bmp when you want it in .jpg, and select properties, and it's extension is .bmp, that is the file format it must be saved as.

Unless I misunderstood your questions?
N/A

Image downloads

Hi Peter,

I download from a site where all the pics are posted in Jpg (Elfwood) and normally I am offered the choice of saving in that form or Bmp. I chose Jpg because of size, where quality is not important. But it seems as if something 'fills up' and then I can ony save in the larger form.
I thought it may be a Temperory File that may be restricted in the amount it can hold in one form and then will only accept in the other.
By 'house keeping' I can clear the situation for a little while bu it soon happens again.
I have had a strange message recently, just once, that said 'your scratch disk is almost full'. Could that be anything to do with it...............and what is a scratch disk?
IanS
holdtight
Grafter

Image downloads

windows only saves downloaded pictures in bmp when your temporary internet files folder is full
windows will only save bmp when this is the case,

right click on the IE icon on your desktop and select properties
on the general tab select delete files

then go into settings and allocate a bit more disk space for the
temporary internet files as it sounds as if you may have it set
very low, i find that around 40 - 60 MB is plenty enough for most people
although if you download a lot of large pictures you may find that a
bit more will suit your needs
N/A

Image downloads

holdtight is right. It also saves as bmp if a corrupt file is put into the temp files.
empty the temp files as suggested and it should be ok again. Cheesy

You will need to refresh a page to reload any images as jpg files.
N/A

Image downloads

Thank you Peter, Bill and Violet for your replies.
I'll view I.E and see what I can come up with.
Best Wishes, IanS.