cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IRQs

N/A

IRQs

How do you force a device (PCI sound card) to use a specific IRQ (Irq 5 in this instance) rather than the one assigned by W2K?
4 REPLIES
N/A

IRQs

Life isnt that simple it used to be in the good old dos days when you set everything manualy.

Normaly there is a setting in the bios which lets you set the irq for pci devices to auto or force an irq for a certain slot. That may well do it. If not then selcect the device in device manager and look at the resouces tab somtime you can change it there.

The problem is its like playing musical chairs to move the irq there has to be one free if there isnt then you have to move one to get the other to go in. Often to do this you have to disable other devices first and then add them back after you have the first one set. Even that isnt foolproof as some may only be able to use certain irq's

The best chance is the bios just find out which slot its in first.

Why do you need it on that irq? Is it for a old dos game?
N/A

IRQs

It's not a DOS issue, since I run on W2K. The new sound card was put on IRQ11, which already has 5 devices on it, including the MoBo (MSI MS-637Cool integrated sound card (not very good) & graphic controller (not very good either) . As a result, the new sound card tend to crackle a bit, most especially when using DX drivers, as opposed to MME ones. Also, us musicians have known from 10 years of Digital Audio that IRQ5 is the best IRQ to put a sound card on, as it does not tend to be shared. Under Win98, that's where it gets placed.

I have looked around various digital audio forums, and it seems to be a matter of disabling the automatic IRQ assignement in the BIOS, plugging/installing and unplugging/uninstalling the card until it gets the IRQ you're after (it's called Plug & Pray).

A more dramatic option might be to zap the drive, install Win98, install the 2nd sound card, then re-install Win2K.

TX for ur suggestions.
N/A

IRQs

If your motherboard supports ACPI management then you could
disable this feature and then install W2K with it disabled this tends
to reduce the distortion/interference your getting.
Hardware acceleration is another area you could look at as this
exacerbates the problem.
I thought W98 was the first choice for musician's, what made you
switch to W2K?
N/A

IRQs

A lot of musos got fed up, over the years, with the blue screen appearing at least once a day. Rather embarassing in front of clients, when you have to reboot. As comps became faster and cheaper, W2K appeared to be the OS of choice. In the 8 months I have been running it, only had 3 crashes. I'll try the ACPI thingie, and also update the VIA chipset drivers. The crackling only appear when using DX drivers (less latency), not the MME (more latency). Latency is the bane of musicians using computers.