cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP address question

flicker
Grafter

IP address question

Not to sure how to explain this, but could someone tell me how IP addresses work? I was under the impression that you are allocated a different one each time you log on to your pc, and that each separate pc in your home would have a different IP address? The reason I am asking is that my IP address is suddenly banned from using a forum (and I haven't done anything wrong, honest!) I am normally using my laptop on a wireless router/modem. So I tried it again using a USB modem, same error message, and I've also tried it using my desktop PC using ethernet and USB modem, and get the same thing every time "Sorry that IP has been banned.... " Would it be a temporary glitch, or has someone got it in for me? Cry
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

IP address question

It depends on what account type you're on.

Accounts like Premier have a static IP which means you're always assigned the same one for the duration of your subscription. Broadband Plus has a dynamic IP, which means each time you connect you are then assigned a different one from a pool of available IP addresses. This pool would exist within a certain range which are assigned to PlusNet (so it wouldn't just be any old address).

Most accounts are assigned a single IP address, when using a USB modem only one PC can be connected at a time so would have a single IP address. If you use a router (either hardware or software) then usually it performs Network Address Translation to allow multiple PC's to share the same connection - this means it is assigned an internal private IP address which doesn't exit on the internet and translates it into a single public IP address. Essentially that means the computers using that connection all share a single public IP address. It is technically possible to get multiple public address allocated to an account, but this is only when you wish to run multiple servers off a broadband connection, and is unlikely you'd want to do this at home anyway.

So with a USB modem since you manually disconnect and reconnect each time you use the internet and PC then it is likely your dynamic IP changes more frequently (if you have one). Where if you had a router since you usually leave it on and connected then that wouldn't be the case. (Except if you had idle timeouts enabled).

I guess it's possible that someone who was assigned your IP address in the past got banned and now you have it. In the case of a static IP then I guess it might be possible if you've joined recently and been assigned an address of someone who's left. However, since you been here longer than me then I don't think that is the case!

It might be another PlusNet user got banned and you're getting their dynamic IP. Although you're disconnecting each time, it could be you're getting reassigned the same dynamic IP each time so the site still thinks you're banned. You can check by going to a site like http://www.whatismyip.com and see if it changes been connections.

I'd take it up with the forum site first, it may have been blocked due to some abuse from a user previously on that IP, could be a mistake or a range of addresses may have been blocked due to some attack inside or outside of the PlusNet range (but still includes them).

There was a thread on here recently about PlusNet users not being able to access a certain web site, and it turned out some IP's from the PlusNet range were blocked for some reason. So others on a different IP range were fine.
flicker
Grafter

IP address question

Thanks for the very informative reply, and for going to so much trouble to explain all that. I've tried to digest as much of it as possible and think I understand! Shockedops: I clicked the link and found what my ip address is. It was the same one as when I checked elsewhere this morning. So it would appear that I am always getting the same one, even though I am now using my laptop on a wireless connection, whereas before I was using a desktop with my USB modem.

The website in question is one which I have been using for almost two years without a problem, on a daily basis, without fail. Then today I get the message that my ip address is banned. So could it mean that a whole range of plusnet ip addresses including mine have been banned then? So someone else around here basically, or can it be from any area? You are right, I will have to take it up with the forum moderator I suppose, but I wanted to get my facts right before I start complaining.

Incidentally, I have just changed down from BroadbandPlus to PAYG because of the speed problems.
N/A

IP address question

Hmm, PAYG Basic has a dynamic IP, so if you're on that package, that could be your problem.

PAYG has a static IP though, so if you're on that package, you are stuck with the problem unless you can get the forum admins to remove your IP from the ban list.

Its possible to block ranges of IP's from accessing forums, so its feasible that thats happened to you.

Or possibly your IP changed when you changed package and you ended up with one that had been previsouly banned?
flicker
Grafter

IP address question

That sounds like a possibility then, I will have to get in touch with them then. Many thanks. Smiley
N/A

IP address question

The simple answer is to access the website via a proxy server see
http://www.proxy4free.com/page1.html

for a list. Simple use one of those and the website wont pick up your ip
Community Veteran

IP address question

When did you change from BB+ to PAYG?

Did this co-inside with losing access to this site.

If so it could be that the previous user which had this Static IP address could have been banned from the site.

If you get no joy from the site itself, it may be worth asking PlusNet to change your IP address. They will not normally do this for the problem that you have experienced, but if you have only just received that Static IP address and it has banns in place then I feel that this would be a justified case.

Chilly
flicker
Grafter

IP address question

Thanks for all the help everyone, but today I tried first thing and got straight on the site without a problem, so it must have been a temporary thing thankfully, I didn't contact anyone, thought I'd leave it. But I have some very useful info now if it happens again. Cheesy