cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Address Block Setup

N/A

IP Address Block Setup

I've just had my block of 4 public IP addresses enabled so that we can have two Xbox 360s in the house working on Xbox Live properly and simultaneously (they need to be visible externally, and UPnP only allows one at a time to be visible).

I'm not really an expert in this area at all, but I think that I should be able to set a NAT device of some variety to use IP address #2 (which then allows all other devices on the network to access the 'net) and give one of the Xbox360s IP address #3.

I currently have everything on my network handled by a Netgear DG834G, an 8-port 10/100 Netgear switch and a Netgear WiFi access point (the wireless part of the DG834G started becoming a little unreliable so WiFi on that was disabled and replaced with a standalone access point). I also have a couple of devices on the network which need DHCP to be enabled.

I don't really know what sort of hardware I need to get my network set up properly, though. I've read that the DG834 can handle multiple external IP addresses with NAT disabled, but I actually need NAT, so will I be able to buy a cheap device to do NAT for me? I'd rather not leave a PC on 24/7 handling that when a dedicated device could perform the same job while consuming a tenth of the power.

I think I'm looking for a setup something like:
         PlusNet etc.

|
DG834G
|
------------------
| |
Xbox360 #1 NAT Device
|
Switch
|
----------------------------------------
| | | | |
Xbox360 #2 WiFi AP PC1 PC2 [...] PC[n]

Am I even close to reality with that thinking? And does anyone have a recommendation for such a NAT device? One with a built-in firewall would be good, though not really required, since NAT does most of that on its own. It'd also be nice to find a device that combined the function of the DG834 and the second NAT device without costing the earth (I found one that I think fitted the requirements for ~£150 but that's a little more than I want to pay just to have error-free gaming - I'm a student, after all, so can hardly afford business-class hardware). I'm also hoping that a 4-block will be enough and I won't need an 8-block then leave half of them unused...

Thanks in advance Smiley