cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IE6 Very slow

N/A

IE6 Very slow

Hi all,
For the last few weeks my IE has been exceedingly slow (I can load a web page faster dialing up using a 9.6kps mobile than I can on ADSL)

I had put this down initially to the BT server outage, but then noticed that Kaaza was still d/l at it's usual speed and Outlook was speedily sending / recieving. After speaking to tech support they suggested I tried another borwser. Using Opera everything runs at the speed it should.

Using a connection monitor (NetPerSec) shows that whilst everything else is running at ADSL speed, IE6 is running slow at speeds that would shame snail.

All I had done at the same time was install the latest IE patch from MS. I've removed this patch, removed and reinstalled IE and it's made no difference. I did notice when I d/l Opera that the d/l speed was normal,so IE seems to be able to d/l a file (rt click, save target as option) normally,it's just the actuall browsing side of things that;'s slow.

Any idea's on this one? Since even though I like a lot of what Opera does, there are still things I need IE for, and Opera isn't 100% compatible.

TIA
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

IE6 Very slow

Do you regular Windows updates?

I have found both IE and OE6 (particularly OE6) getting progressively slower to open each time I add the routine patches and security updates when updating.

I proved this recently...I have a dual boot system and had recent occasion to re-load one half of the system that included a new re-installation of IE and OE6, from new OE in particular opened within split seconds, getting slower as I downloaded and installed the available updates from the Microsoft website.

PL
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
N/A

IE6 Very slow

Do you regular Windows updates?PL

I admit that I religiously apply the critical patches, and anly others that I think apply to myself

I have notice windows itself is taking longer to start up. A friend with a similar spec, but brand new laptop takes less than half the time to boot. If anything, IE6 has the same start up time as ever, and Outlook (not OE) is actually a bit quicker of late,though I do wonder if all this patching is slowing the system overall. The problem is not in the start up times though,its the apparent connection speed, IE6 seems to think that it only has something like a 9.6k modem attached to the computer, whereas Opera, Netscape, Kazaa lite, Outlook...etc all whiz along at the speeds I've come to expect from DSL. I've got a feeling it's just my 2 year old laptop getting old...it's manufactured by Tiny, so I'm thinking the less than top quality components are now on their way out! Either that or the patching etc has messed up the system so much that a re-installof everything from a freshly formatted drive is the answer.

Thanks for the feedback though!
N/A

IE6 Very slow

Clear out your Internet cache, it;s most probably got too large and now it takes longer for your laptop to check if a page is new or not than downloading from scratch.
Community Veteran

IE6 Very slow

Thanks cqg4uzg,

Yes that's Ok for IE6, but doesn't account for slow opening of OE6 other than the updates and security patches.

And anyway a bulging cashe will normally only affect web page opening speed in IE6, but not if OE6 is being opened from "cold" before going on-line...I think :?:

Peter

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
N/A

IE6 Very slow

Agreed....
I don't use OE6 but use Eudora. I know of a problem with Eudora were there is a time delay when it starts up and reads the address book. Could this be similar with OE6 ??
Otherwise, OE6 is unknown to me.
Community Veteran

IE6 Very slow

I would suspect that most e-mail programmes have (suffer) with same kinds of issues as each other, so yes, I expect the OE address book cause some of the slowing as well. I recall using some early versions of Netscape mail that had much the same problem, although was probably quicker (then) than OE6 is now. Netscape mail I found was much under-rated it's big disadvantage was that it couldn't be seperated from the main web browser, and now it's kind'a integrated with the AOL setup I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

I've never managed to get Eudora to work properly for myself, but I know several people who think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread was invented, but this "may" be because I've got a dual boot system and I've only tried to install Eudora on one half, Eudora usually reports a clash of interest and refuses to fire up properly.

Peter