Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IDE missing

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

IDE missing

Hi

Wondered if anyone could offer some advice. My laptop has stopped working, and all I get after the BIOS screen is the message IDE missing. I can get into the BIOS ok, but when I try to reload windows, the system just shuts down. I am suspecting a faulty IDE controller, but wondered if anyone had any other ideas. Also is it worth reflashing the BIOS to see if its become corrupt in some way?
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

IDE missing

Are you able to remove the hard drive. If so try that and see if you get the same error. If you don't, then it may be your hard disk that has failed.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

IDE missing

Peter

If the Hard Drive is removed, then it boots into the BIOS OK, and stays in the BIOS as long as you want. So you dont think its the IDE controller?. I am going to try a Linux Live DVD see if that works OK. Any ways to test an IDE controller?
N/A

IDE missing

Booting from a linux cd is a good move and see if you can see the drive c:
Its down the the maker really what their fault cant find ide means. It most likely its the hard drive its very rare the controller fails.

If you get into the bios can the bios see the drive? Have you changed any bios setting which may cause it you could try loading bios defaults or clearing the cmos if you have a manual that tells you how to do it.
hatherden
Dabbler

IDE missing

Can get your hands on another notebook/2.5" drive and put that in? New ones seem to start at around £30.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Re: IDE missing

I am suspecting a faulty IDE controller, but wondered if anyone had any other ideas. Also is it worth reflashing the BIOS to see if its become corrupt in some way?

It does sound like a faulty IDE controller. I've experienced this on a desktop a few years back and it was one of the worst issues I've ever had to try to workaround. Eventually a new motherboard came my way courtesy of my GF.

It isn't worth reflashing the bios. I've never once heard of a bios becoming corrupt. I know people update their bios's for various reasons etc, but if this is a fault that has developed then I doubt that it's a bios corruption OR a need for an update.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!