cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IDE Channels

N/A

IDE Channels

Can I have more than 2 IDE channels, and therefore increase the number of IDE devices above 4? If yes, how?

Also, any known way to force a particular device to use a particular IRQ? At the moment, I have 6 devices (including my pro soundcard, EMU0404, I'm a musician) using IRQ11, while all the other IRQs have 1 device each. I would like to put the sound card onto its own IRQ, so as to optimise its performance.

My system: W2K+SP4, MSI 6378 MoBo, Award Modular Bios v6.00, Athlon XP2000+, 800M ram, 2 x HDs (40 & 160G).

Cheers all
7 REPLIES
N/A

IDE Channels

All modern MB have 4 IDE Channels you should have 2 cables both of which can have 2 ide devices. You dont say if the sound card is onboard or not. If its in a PCI slot you can normally force it to an irq in the bios.

With modern boards and O/S you can have multipe decices on an IRA with no problems
madswitcher
Grafter

IDE Channels

Yep, you can buy an add-in PCI card with 2 extra channels on it - I thibk a company called SiS or Promise make them.

Cheers, Mike
N/A

IDE Channels

As I want more than 4 IDE channels, 6 actually, I'll have to adopt Mike's solution.

The sound card is a PCI with ASIO drivers. From a "making music with comp" point of view, is best if it can have its own IRQ.

Thanks all.
Community Veteran

IDE Channels

Instead of IDE why not go Serial ATA. You can buy a SATA controller card just like you can for IDE and fit 2 or 4 SATA dives to it. You will need power cable adapters (the SATA drives have a different power connector) but cabling is much simpler.
N/A

IDE Channels

Yup aggree S-ATA is the answer to this
N/A

IDE Channels

So if I go serial, what do I do with my parallel devices (2 x HDs, 1 x DVD-Rom, 1 x DVD-Ram), cos according to www.serialata.org "ATA will not be able to directly interface with legacy Ultra ATA hardware"?
N/A

IDE Channels

"ATA will not be able to directly interface with legacy Ultra ATA hardware"?

That statement is correct.

You keep the existing 4 devices on the MB 2xIDE channels. (You can actually buy SATA to IDE adapters, so you could convert these at a cost, but why bother?)

If you are buying new devices, you buy SATA HDDs and an SATA controller. SATA cards come with 1 or 2 (or more) SATA ports and maybe additional IDE channels. Oh... and don't forget if you are ordering SATA hard drives... order the SATA data cables AND power adapters.

Example: Adaptec SATAConnect 1205SA is a 2 port SATA device.

Ebuyer seems to have some v.cheap adapters... can't comment on whether they will be good/bad.