cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ICS to share ADSL with USB modem

N/A

Have looked back over previous topics to see if this question has been raised before but cannot find anything.

I have an ADSL USB modem and want to share the connection with a second PC. I know I will need a network card on the second PC and a crossover cable but do I need 1 or 2 network cards on the PC which has the USB modem?

David
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Just 1 as the ADSL modem plugs into the USB port. If you had a modem/router connected to your PC via a lan cable you would need 2 lan cards, one for the router and one to connect to the 2nd PC.

What windows versions are running on the 2 PCs and which has the modem connected?
N/A

If you had a modem/router connected to your PC via a lan cable you would need 2 lan cards, one for the router and one to connect to the 2nd PC.

If he had that setup, would he need the second nic?

Thats what the router is for
Community Veteran

If it was a 1 port router, yes. Wink

Clearly a 4 port adsl modem/router is the best solution for multiple PCs sharing the net connection but I just answered the question asked. Cheesy
N/A

It would be silly to enable Internet Connection Sharing just to allow you an extra computer. it would be far better in the long run, to get a cheap ethernet hub
Community Veteran

He is using a USB modem so a hub is no good :?:

The 1 port router was an answer to your question, not what is being used.
N/A

Thanks for replies. The PC with the USB modem connected is XP and the other PC that is to share the connection is 98SE. Will give it a go, I have some info off the web on ICS but it didn't make it clear about sharing the USB modem.
N/A

Its very simple to do without the wizard as that often makes a mess of it.

Set the xp pc to have an ip of 10.0.0.2 subnet 255.255.255.0 set the dns to +nets.

Set the 98 pc's ip to 10.0.0.1 subnet 255.255.255.0 set the dns to +nets and set the default gateway to 10.0.0.2

job done.

ICS sets a dhcp server and somtimes it doesnt work as you turn the pc on to quick, this way it work all the time