cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ICS setup problem: IE can't access internet when ICS enabled

pharbar

I tried last week to get to the bottom of this (see "Setting up ICS on host disables Binatone ADSL500 (win98se)"), but with no luck. I have done a bit more experimenting, and since discovered that the problem is a little different, and amounts to this:

When the shared Internet Connection is "Binatone ADSL500", it fails to logon (as it relies on IE, I now realise), getting the "DNS error - page cannot be displayed..." error message. I had wrongly assumed it to be a problem with the Binatone setup...

however!...

when the shared Internet Connection is set to share Dial Up Networking, the Host computer CAN "connect" to the Internet, apparently, but Internet Explorer get the DNS error message, so no actual access is possible (I've not tried it with Outlook Express - might be revealing). In this arrangement the Binatone ADSL modem IS also able to connect (as it relies on Internet Explorer for logging on), but it is not a lot of use for ICS in this configuration. But, of course, when the ICS is set to share an ADSL connection again, the "blocking" of Internet Explorer prevents log-on.

It seems to boil down to this; that when ICS is set up on the host, Internet Explorer is somehow blocked. I have tried shutting down Zone Alarm, but that doesn't seem to have anything to do with it.

Any ideas, anyone? Thanks!
4 REPLIES
N/A

Forget ICS it screws everything up.
On the pc with the modem set it as follows
remove netbui
ip 10.0.0.2 subnet 255.255.255.0 set the dns to plus nets dns.

On pc2
set the ip to 10.0.0.1 subnet 255.255.255.0 default gateway to 10.0.0.2 set the dns to plus nets. On the second pc you may have to set ie to never dial a connection and to detect network settings. Reboot both pc and it should work.

Sometimes there is a problem with login because your username is not the same on pc 2. Idealy log onto both pc with the same username and pasword.

If all else fails use a free proxy from
http://www.alphalink.com.au/~gregr/freeproxy.htm

you install it on pc 1 and tell pc2 to use the proxy.
pharbar

Thanks for the reply. I fear you over-estimate my knowledge of the subject - it just isn't obvious to me on which tab these setting should be changed.

I assume on PC2 that I should be changing the entries for the TCP/IP settings for the Network card (correct?), and I can see where the IP addresses and gateway are to be changed. Plus nets DNS seems to be 212.159.13.49 for ADSL, but it requires a "host" and "domain" on that tab, and I haven't a clue what they refer to!

I am (even more) confused about the settings on PC1: I assume that in order to get TCP/IP to work, the IP address must be changed in the Network Card settings, but I would have thought that PlusNet's DNS settings would be entered into the TCP/IP settings for the ADSL adaptor. I don't feel confident in my ability to guess right...

I had a look at FreeProxy; it looks better-documented than one I got from AnalogX, but I'm not sure it is the ideal solution. It seems to require Outlook Express accounts (and all internet programs?) to be re-configured permanently to use the proxy. The trouble with that is that it is a laptop which frequently will be having its own direct access to the internet. Or am I missing something?

I really am grateful for the help - sorry to need spoon-feeding!

Peter
N/A

On pc two you are correct use harvey as the host name(any will do) and change the setting for the network card.

The setting are for the network card on pc one as well that then passes everything to the adsl adapter. You need the dns so it knows who to ask to resolve the name.
pharbar

Tried everything but could not get the first method to work. Have gone down the FreeProxy route, which although a bit of a pain to set up, does at least do the job. I've learnt a lot (sigh) over the last two weeks...

Thanks for help.