cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ICS setup between 2 XP prof computers.

N/A

Hi
My internet connection is fine on my main machine using a Dynamode A380 USB modem.
However when i attempt to setup a lan with my sons pc I can't get his machine to access the net.
In the network connections box I just had the Wip tech dial up.
Now I've got a LAN item which is correct and an ATM item as well which i'm not sure what it's for.
I've tried setting the host ip to 192.168.0.1 and the client to 192.168.0.2 as mentioned in various articles but i still can't get it to work.
Can anybody pleeze help?
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Have you actually enabled ICS on the PC that has the Dynamode modem fitted.

Are you using a x-over cable to connect both PCs together. A straight cable will not work unless your network cards have auto cable detection (which many don't).

Have you read through the Windows help on setting up ICS on your PC (start-> windows help-> search for 'ICS')?
N/A

Peter
I am using a x over cable and have ticked the box for allow sharing the internet connection on the dial up item in network conneections. I've worked through windows help and tried using the network setup wizards but still can't get it to work.
This exact setup was working until a few weeks ago when suddenly MSN could log on but IE couldn't access web sites. I did have problems when i set it up a year ago but eventually got it to work through pure luck. I've got a feeling it's something to do with the ATM item in network connections. Sad
N/A

The vital bit is to set the sons ip up in the same range as the main pc with the same subnet and the KEY is it must have its default gateway set to the ip of the other pc. It should then work.