cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ICS randomly lost connection Please help....

N/A

Hi,

I am a new joined member to plusNet Plus from Bt yahoo broadband.

I have a USB modem and an ethernet hub which i run Internet connection sharing to other computers. I also turned off all power saving management for the modem.

However, since joinning plusNet, I have a weird problem of the internet randomly disconnect on sharing which people on the hub cannot access the internet, only the host (the one with the USB modem installed) can access the internet.

The only way so far is to disconnect the connection on host, and reconnect again (sometime i need to try reconnecting 3 times before the others on hub can access the internet! ), but then after a while, it happens again!

However i never have such a problem while i was with Bt yahoo. It happens since the day i switched to plusnet.

Any idea how to fix it?

please help...... many Thx.
7 REPLIES
N/A

Hi,

Can you describe your setup? firewalls etc?

Do all the other PCs disconnect at once? is the hub self powered or powered by the PC?
N/A

USB modem plug into a PC (host), connect to a hub via Lan card.
other PC connect to the hub.

Window Firewall & ICS on plusnet broadband dialup (on host PC).

The hub is self powered.

All PCs disconnect at once, (only internet). File sharing are OK.
N/A

Hmm - if it weren't for the fact that the host could still access the internet I'd say that this was the idle timeout affecting you (you said you're on the Plus package, right?) however this has me flummoxed! I've never been a big fan of Windows ICS if I'm honest - best advice I could give you would be to get yourself a 4 port modem/router and hook all the PCs in through that. The Netgear DG834 series are very popular.
N/A

it can't be the idle timeout bcos i m surfing the internet when it suddently cut off, even when the host was using internet as well......

argh.............. :? Sad Sad Sad
N/A

It's unlikely to be the timeout, for the reasons you've given.

I would drop the windows firewall, and use something like the free version of Zone Alarm, the windows firewall is a poor firewall.

If your serious about this sharing thing, I would recommend you consider purchasing a router in the future, since this enable anyone to connect without having to wait for the host PC to be on or connected.

What OS are you using? and all the other PC's? If your running XP, have you enabled internet sharing/gateway ?
N/A

all the PC are on XP, and have file sharing enable in workgroup.

only the host has enable internet sharing.
LiamM
Grafter

Only ZoneAlarm Pro will work with ICS.

Tis a rather difficult setup, I found.