Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ICS - Internet Connection Shareing

rhosybol
Grafter

I have the following set-up

My Binatone Modem that was provided by plus.net is connected to a Windows XP Home computer, my machine has Windows XP Pro installed.

Using a router with built in firewall and 4 ports how do I get the Internet Connection Shareing to work, I currently have a network cable running between the two machines.
6 REPLIES
N/A

is it a usb or ethernet modem?
rhosybol
Grafter

Its the AR41, if that helps!

Edit, Changed AR4 to AR41.
N/A

If your router has a firewall, I'm assuming it contains a built in modem as well? Can't you just connect each of the PC's to the router? or am I mising something here?

Aaron
FillDee
Grafter

You're missing something Smiley Well not really.

If the router has a built in adsl modem, then, yes, connect both PC's to the router, plug the modem side into your filter and away you go. Throw the original modem in the bin.

If it hasn't, then a modem is needed. The router will have an external port. If this matches the modem input (IE USB or ethernet) then plug that into the modem and the modem into the telephone line. Connect both PC's to the router and all should be fine. If it doesn't match, ie a USB modem and an ethernet port, then you need a modem to match.

This all presumes that the router acts as a DHCP server and both PC's are setup to use this.

Oh, in both of these cases, turn Internet connection settings off.

Phil
N/A

You're missing something Smiley Well not really.

lol

I didn't go into depth, because I didn't know what setup we were talking about.

Aaron
Community Veteran

If it's the aceex AR41/2c or AR41/2 or AR41/9 router then it has a built in ADSL modem.

So you should replace your USB modem with the router as it will be much better and you don't need to use ICS which is better still.

So just remove your USB modem (and uninstall the modem drivers), plug in your router to your network card/Ethernet port, plug the router into your phone socket, configure your PC to obtain it's IP automatically, reboot your PC and reconfigure all devices - just follow the instructions included with your router. Once you have your main PC working just connect your other PC to the router, set it to obtain it's IP automatically and reboot it.