cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to go back in time

metbury
Grafter

I wonder if anyone can help please? Long ago we could go to Dos and print out the directory tree of the computer. I would like a free program which would let me do this in Windows XP but I can only find a program which expects me to give my credit card details before I try it. Does anyone know of a way I could print out the directory tree please? :roll:

Thanks Eileen
10 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

Go into windows explorer, open up ur directory tree, take a screenshot, open up in PSP and click Print Shockedops:
Community Veteran

Try the freeware Treesize from http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml
metbury
Grafter

Thank you for your reply but I have over 60,000 files on my computer and I know some of them are duplicated. I want to find them by comparing the contents of folders. I have used screen shots when I just want to have a list of one folder but this is not practical for my purpose at the moment. I would also like to make hand written notes against the names of the files on the lists.
Eileen
Community Veteran

If your primary reason for the tool is to find dupicates then there are loads of tools around to assist you. A quick google seach for 'find duplicate files' brings up loads of hits.

I have used the following: EasyCleaner V2.

Note: it will find exact file duplicates (i.e. including contents), not files with the same name, and you can print out the results.
metbury
Grafter

Peter,

Thank you for mentioning Tree Sizer. I installed it and my printer has been working overtime!! (g) My main reason WAS to find duplicates so I will now go and find Easy Cleaner V2 though the directory structure printout from Tree Sizer will be really handy.
Thanks Eileen
N/A

If you want to go back in time then you can. Open a CMD window cd\ to get to the root then

dir *.* /s >files.txt

you will then have a file called files.txt with all you files in it. You can open it in Excel and sort it to find you duplicates
metbury
Grafter

Thank you for your reply. Could you tell me what a CMD window is please? I presume it looks like a Dos window but I don't know how to do that.
Eileen
Community Veteran

CMD window = Command window or dos window.

In XP you can type at the run option cmd or command to bring up the dos box or find it by start all programs windows accessories command prompt.
All get you to the same place.
metbury
Grafter

Many thanks, I will try that ready for next time. I managed to sort out all the duplicate files using the programs recommended. It took a long time but well worth the effort. Thank you to all who helped.
Eileen
N/A

john 1 small note :

command is diff from cmd .. check the path details. command I *think* is like the ones from win98 as its slow and lags if u hold down a key, where as cmd seems to be from 2k and thus does not lag if you say hold down teh "g" key for a while Smiley

buz