cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a couple of LAN problems that are annoying me

N/A

1) My LAN connection icon in the system tray keeps flashing one of the blue monitor screens keeps going on and off. No data is being transfered and it still happens when I tell my Kerio FW to stop all traffic.

2) I am getting this

quite often on start up. I think that it is the Binatone ADSL 2100 Router making a uPNP request to the PC. I have been through all of the screens in the router menu's but I cannot see where I could change anything to stop it.

Any ideas?
16 REPLIES
N/A

seems you have msn messenger as a startup item. thats the normal protocol for messenger.....its logging in automatically...by the way, if you do have it....get the latest as the older ones have ben compromised and there is a way for an outside user to access your whole system...this was a ms released advisory couple of weeks back.
Cool
N/A

I haven't got it running, I stopped it ages ago. If I do use it (4.7) it has to log on. Surely if it was that program it would own that port and for incoming there would be firewall permission for the reply.
N/A

my bad.....as msn uses that port amongst others, i zeroed in on it....
there are other ports named there....

its a service thats doing the calling....try switching off the messenger service in your control panel, administrative tools, services.....disable it completely and see if that helps....you will find its one of those services that generally loads with windows ...

This is a listener port for MS Messenger. List follwers will
remember that this has been used as an avenue for spammers to send "pop-up"
alerts on users desktops
N/A

I'm a bit confused,

I use MSN Messenger 4.7 and it doesn't load at startup. I have long since disabled in services Windows Messenger, to stop popups. The port isn't open hence the firewall alert.

This is why I think that the router is the culprit, this from the Router LAN and DHCP Configuration

Community Veteran

The pop-up you are getting is not related to DHCP which is used to actually allocate each PC on your network a unique IP address and to supply DNS and gateway IP addresses also. Once this is done, DHCP palys no part in future comminication

In what way do you think the DHCP settings you posted is related to your problem?

Does one of your PCs have an IP address of 192.168.1.14?

Is this the one that the pop-up occurs on?

I assume the routers IP address is 192.168.1.1, in which case the UDP packet being blocked does not come from the router. It comes from whatever PC is allocated IP .14 so maybe that is running MSN messanger or windows messanger service and needs to be disabled.
N/A

In what way do you think the DHCP settings you posted is related to your problem?

Because on the firewall alert, the remote IP is 192.168.1.14 and I found that IP in the DHCP configuration.

ATM I only have one PC connected and I have just tried to have a look at the network card settings. In the General tab all the "This connection uses the following items:" boxes are unchecked, I get no information at all in the advanced tab. I should have (did have?) TCP/IP & QoS Packet Scheduler checked, shouldn't I?
Community Veteran

Because on the firewall alert, the remote IP is 192.168.1.14 and I found that IP in the DHCP configuration.

But that is only in the user defined section which you are not using. The system allocatyed will most likely use the range 192.168.1.2 -> 192.168.1.254.

ATM I only have one PC connected and I have just tried to have a look at the network card settings. In the General tab all the "This connection uses the following items:" boxes are unchecked, I get no information at all in the advanced tab. I should have (did have?) TCP/IP & QoS Packet Scheduler checked, shouldn't I?

What windows version are you running? For XP start a dos/cmd window and type ipconfig /all. For WIn9x/Me run winipcfg and select your network card.

Also what IP address is the router using?

Either your PC or the router is IP 192.168.1.14 Knowing this at least you know where the UDP packet originated from although still not why.
N/A

Enables discovery of UPnP devices on your home network.

that is what the simple service discovery protocol (ssdp) does specifically. the Upnp is actually the universal plug n play discovery service. it was designed for a wide compatability of devices to be connected to your computer.

its meant to be local and so would also be local to either your computer or network.

there was a alert some time back to switch it off too. you dont have to disable it, just set it to manual in the services. and when it pops up in the firewall, block it.

shouldnt be a problem i doubt you have anything going on there which is dodgy. just xp being its usual 'i know whats best' scenario.

to see the other ports and what they do, here is the IANA listing of them... Cheesy
http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers
N/A

What windows version are you running? For XP start a dos/cmd window and type ipconfig /all. For WIn9x/Me run winipcfg and select your network card.

Also what IP address is the router using?

I have run ipconfig and yes my PC is 192.168.1.14 Shockedops:

My router is 192.168.1.2

I disabled UPnP a long time ago and I have just checked to make sure.
N/A

try changing your router dhcp from system defined to user defined and see if this helps....i hate these auto dhcp thingy's....
i much prefer to setup the static network.

seems its like a i'm alive signal between the router and the pc....
N/A

Ok, done that, I just changed it from auto to user assigned and saved it. Modem has rebooted and eveything seems tickety boo.

Thanks

PS Any ideas on why the LAN send on the systray icon keeps flashing?
N/A

For that, you will need a Network Analyzer. These are by no means simple tools.

These effectly capture all the traffic going around your network if you are using a HUB, or anything between you and the router if usign a switch.

Most of the output would likely be greek to you, but it would allow you to understand exactly what is occuring to cause the LAN to show traffic.

One such item is Ethereal.
N/A

Sounds expensive as well.......

According to the Network tab on the Windows (XP) task scheduler there is no data being transfered. If I click a button I cab see the trace peak, othewise it is just flatlining across the '0'
Community Veteran

Ethereal is a very well known and used software monitor you run on your system to trace/monitor any data going to/from your network card. It is free.