cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I REALLY need some help with wireless networking

willow147
Grafter

I have just signed up with PlusNet (exchange upgrade on Aug 20) and am now looking to get my house ready for the big day.

I know absolutely nothing about networking (but am very PC literate) so don't know where to start.

At the moment I have 1 56K modem connected to 1 PC and 1 standalone PC (no internet).

What I would like is to be able to do is network the 2 machine together and also share my new high speed internet connection. I did think about buying a modem and directly connecting the machines to each other and just set up sharing on the 'master' pc. This I though was cheap and tacky.
I would also occasionally like to connect my laptop to the network as well.

So I gather I need some form of router with built in Modem.

To add to the confusion I would also like the network to be wireless as my main computer will be moving soon and I don't want to have to re-cable the house.

The question is, can you good people please offer me some advice as to what equipment I would need (makes, models etc) to set up my desired system (I would prefer to not have to spend too much on this - wife may not like it )

Many thanks
1 REPLY
Community Veteran

I was in a similar position to yourself a short while ago... check my thread a little way down in this board. Smiley

Thomas