cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to turn off laptop wifi?

aeroalfie
Grafter

Hello i know this is in the wrong section but i need a quick reply - im going away a dinner time and taking the laptop with me, i will be running of the battery & wont have internet connection so i don't need my laptop wifi turned on . I have been looking through the settings but cant seem to find any option to completely turn off wifi?

Laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1501 running vista basic.

Any help much appreciated.
5 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 159

Not used Vista much myself, is there a network settings sections where you can right click on the wireless icon and disable it?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Staff
aeroalfie
Grafter

Hello Chris, there is a 'network and sharing center' but i only seem able to disconnect from my home network - while the laptop wireless stays on scanning for other networks. Sad

EDIT: found it - the option is in 'Windows Mobility Center' what a strange place to have this option when there is a network and sharing center :?

cheers Cool
Nick_Russell
Grafter

I think on Dell laptops you toggle WiFi on and off with F2 function key.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Some laptops have symbols above the F-keys which control things like contrast, brightness, volume, display output and wireless.

The F-keys on their own usually control what they would with applications, but laptops usually have an extra 'Fn' key often to the left of the spacebar.

I don't know Dells that well, but if there is an icon which looks like a wireless one then try holding down the Fn key with the appropriate F-key.

Others have an separate button or switch.

Also I think we've been between disabling in hardware or via Windows. I would assume disabling in hardware is more efficient on the battery, but I don't know.
Community Veteran

Re: How to turn off laptop wifi?

Hello i know this is in the wrong section but i need a quick reply

Computers and Hardware, would be more appropriate, so I will move it across now.

Jonathan
aka Chilly