cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to open ports in a firewall

bmck
Dabbler

I'd like to be able to access my home pc / network remotely. According to a mag. article I've been reading in order to do this I'll need to open TCP port 1723 on my router to circumvent the firewall or / and ports 5801 & 5901 (to allow VPN or VNC traffic).

Does anyone know how this is done?

The home and remote pc's are running win xp pro and the router is a Speedtouch 530. I've found the speed touch 530 manual (and web site) unhelpful but I may be missing something basic here - this is all a bit "in depth" for me!

I've already put a post on the Speedtouch forum but those forums are "not very active" to put it diplomatically.

I realise win xp pro has a "remote desktop" facility but I've never been able to get this to work either (because of the firewall issue?)

Can anyone help?

Brian Sad
4 REPLIES
N/A

Ive copied this from one of my bookmarks if it's of help.
Quote :

'' Can I run a VPN server behind a SpeedTouch 510 or 530?

The SpeedTouch 510 and 530 have an embedded ALG for GRE.

To setup a separate PC as the VPN server behind the SpeedTouch 510 or 530, you need to forward the following protocol and ports to your VPN server, by using the NAT page of the modem Web interface as described in the User Guide:

- protocol=tcp port=1723

- protocol=gre

Alternatively, you can use the following CLI commands:

nat create protocol=tcp inside_addr=’address of the server PC’ inside_port=1723 outside_addr=0 outside_port=1723 foreign_addr=0

nat create protocol=gre inside_addr=’address of the server PC’ outside_addr=0 foreign_addr=0 ''

Alec
bmck
Dabbler

Hmmmm.. that looks quite complex but thanks all the same. I'll give it a go when I get back home.

Brian
N/A

Using the Web browser interface seems to be the
easiest of the two , I don't have access to a speedtouch,
but try :
Open web browser for router interface by typing 10.0.0.138 ? ( or correct IP of router)
Select advanced.
Select NAPT
Select New
Enter port eg. 1723
Select protocol eg. TCP
Use 0.0.0.0 as outside address
Save.
Similar for all required ports and
then one rule for protocol GRE .
Alec
bmck
Dabbler

Thanks for that Alec. I'll give my wife a call and see if she can sort that for me. I'm away just know you see and need to access my pc at home.
Brian