cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get Linux?

jahc

How to get Linux?

I want to install Linux on my W98SE 433 MHz and 191MB and 6GB total HDD.

Mainly because MS and Zone Alarm not supporting W98 any more

Have had a look at some linux sites but am totally confused.

Does Plusnet offer any Linux support or advice?

eg documentation, download mirrors or CD sales?
18 REPLIES
N/A

How to get Linux?

no isp directly supports any O/S

You can download any linux free so just get the one you want from the net. If you have never tried it before goto

http://www.novell.com/products/suselinux/downloads/suse_linux/index.html

this is a live cd so you dont have to install it just boot from the cd and your away. It means you can try it get used to it before you commit to wiping your drive
Community Veteran

How to get Linux?

I've got almost exactly the same spec machine and have been trying a few Linux distributions recently.
The best (by far) has been Puppy Linux.
It runs like lightning (it'll make your old 98 setup look like a slug), has a familiar look and feel for a 98 user, and has plenty of useful built-in apps.
Other good ones for a low spec machine are Damn Small Linux and Slax
I think Suse is likely to be a bit big and slow for you.
have fun ...
shellsong
Grafter

How to get Linux?

Another interesting distro for low spec machines is STX, a slackware based based distro that I must confess to some interest in because my son designed and implemented the STX Control Panel

There is a review of it at tuxmachines.org
trufflesdad
Grafter

Re: How to get Linux?

Have a look at Distrowatch for comparisons...I am currently
using Pclinuxos and find it an amazing distro..Easy to install and has all the codecs needed for vids etc..
Rich
Grafter

How to get Linux?

Try here...

http://distrowatch.com/

Richard.
Denzil
Grafter

How to get Linux?

Or if you don't want to use a lot of bandwidth on big downloads try Ebay. There are people there who will sell you an installation CD for a pound or two. It is legal as it is open source. I got my copy of Suse 10.0 that way.
trufflesdad
Grafter

Re: How to get Linux?

I find Linuxman (google for) gives excellent service..
N/A

How to get Linux?

no offence but if you dont know where to / how to get linux, then using it probably isnt the best idea for you.

other than that :

Ubuntu - for noobs -- easy to install, mostly works
Debian - for noobs (sic :p) -- not as easy to install, not kept at cutting edge for support but rock solid and stable (till it crashses and burns)
Fedora Core (FC) - for lamers who want Redhat but on their desktop :p
Gentoo - for you if you want a totaly customised install that will be the fastest you can have after you have built it (as you compile everything for your own box)
Slackware - meh
OpenBSD - Secure, but theres not a good desktop OS
FreeBSD - another branch of the BSD tree - an ok desktop but no where near as user friendly as Ubuntu.

If you want to download them, just go to their websites (google) and click on mirrors or downloads or whatever, and download the x86 version of the software.
Njal
Grafter

How to get Linux?

One distribution or another is on magazine CDs (PC Plus for example) most months.

Be warned, it can be very frustrating trying to get some distros to load on older kit; I've been closer to inflicting physical damage on a computer trying to get Linux to install than I ever have with Windows.

Regards,

Neil
Community Veteran

How to get Linux?

interesting. things are never straightforward are they?
I had my old 466Mhz/192MB packard bell (!) side by side with a borrowed brand new 1.6GHz/1GB Asus the other week, and tried a few different distros (ubuntu, knoppix, mepis, puppy, dsl and slax)
All of them loaded up (live cds) 1st time on the PB, found all hardware and were able to connect to the internet in minutes. Some were painfully slow of course but they worked.
On the Asus, however, mepis, ubuntu and knoppix all resolutely refused to find lan h/w. puppy and dsl were fine on the Asus. slax was a bit stroppy on both machines.
But of course one of the joys of penguin-fiddling is making it work ...
Njal
Grafter

How to get Linux?

A problem I often seem to have is:
1. Insert CD into machine
2. CD fires up and Linux install commences.
3. Linux install stops saying that it cannot find the CD to install from.

I did find out what was causing all this at one time, I confess I've forgotten the details. (Doesn't it initially mount CDs as some sort of virtual SCSI drive and then try to see them as CD drives later in the installation process? I may be inventing this!)

Having said all this, I put Mandrake onto a PC a couple of days ago, and it installed beautifully (if slowly, but that was probably the fault of the PC not Linux). Now I know that one works well on that box I'll have to find it a bigger disk and re-install.......

But of course one of the joys of penguin-fiddling is making it work ...

Regards,

Neil
N/A

How to get Linux?

The joys of windows :

It just works.
thejudge
Grafter

How to get Linux?

The joys of windows :

It just works.

I think you missed the word 'only' out there, buzzons! :lol:

One of the guys I work with is a Linux evangelist, and his promptings led me to download the .iso for Ubuntu, just so's I could run it from the CD-ROM drive. It didn't work; there's a bug in Ubuntu which causes it to misallocate drive letters.

So, after reading this thread, I tried Puppy. Loaded fine, except that it can't find my USB modem. Going to their forum, the message from the author seems to be, "I don't like USB modems, so I can't be bottomed supporting them. Get a router!"

I don't like OSs which dictate your hardware needs to that extent, so until I find something better, I'm staying with The Beast...
Community Veteran

How to get Linux?

All OS vendors dictate hw requirements one way or another ... if I wanted XP then I'd have to buy a new computer -- it would barely run on my current box.
I'm a home user, and I stick with 98 for consistency, and play with linux for fun until i can afford a new box.
But if I had a pc estate running into tens or hundreds or thousands I'd be bill gates' bitch all the way Tongue