cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to access an old My Documents

Fixes: 132

When my PC kept crashing I was certain after investigations that the System (Boot) drive had failed (clicking noises alos appeared to be originating from it).

I took it out and replaced it with new drive and re-installed XP.

Luckily I had backed up all important data.

Since then, the PC has been crashing a lot with another recurrimng clicking noise. It seems that a Hitachi 320GB PATA drive could be failing (maybe it was this and not the Samsung 80 SATA that was causing the problems.

I have disconnected the Hitachi for now and reconnected the Samsung. If the clicking does not come back then it was the hitachi. If it returns I will disconnect the Samsung as well and then I will know if it was both or just one.

Anyway, the problem I have now is there atre some documents left in the old My Documents folder on the Samsung which I cannot access (windows was passworded).

Does anyone know how I can access that folder?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

4 REPLIES
N/A

Get yourself a copy of a Linux distro that can be booted from CD like Mandriva One and extract them that way- NTFS permissions can only be enforced by the operating system and Linux disregards them completely.

The only disadvantage with doing it this way is that you'll probably need a FAT32 partition to write them to (few, if any, Linux distros support writing to NTFS).
Fixes: 132

To be honest, I'm pretty sure I took off all I needed - just had a nagging doubt.

Think I'll let it go - have no inclination to meddle with Linux or format a drive to FAT32.

I'll just reformat the drive and see if any errors are thrown up.

Thanks for the quick reply, though

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

(few, if any, Linux distros support writing to NTFS).

puppy linux does so natively.

http://www.puppyos.com/
N/A

If you know someone with a copy of Spinrite it might be worth running that before you reformat the drive.