cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How come ebuyer make me pay for returning duff items?

bluewhale
Rising Star

How come ebuyer make me pay for returning duff items? :x

I've just bought some memory and it's rubbish, but I find i've got to pay the cost of returning it.

Is this legal?

OK that I pay it initially until they verify that the part is faulty, but as far as I can tell they then only refund the parts cost.

I missed the reviews when I bought it and it seems a lot of people have had problems with the memory :x
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Most online sites do that, it's in the TC's. That's part of the risk if it goes wrong, sometimes its better to buy locally at a higher price than online and cheaper.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
bluewhale
Rising Star

i didn't think that there was a risk involved...

i didn't think that there was a risk involved...

they are after all just traders the same as the 'high street', the ocst savings are in not having to pay for the 'high street' rent and staff.

They shouldn't be able to describe goods as new/without fault if they know that there is problems :x
N/A

If you feel hard done by, contact your local trading standards, they would tell you what options are available, and exactly who should pay for what.
bluewhale
Rising Star

well i thought i'd see what other people thought/knew first

well i thought i'd see what other people thought/knew first ...

thats what these forums are for after all :-)

it may be that's how it is at the moment, but I don't think that this is fair trading.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Well its standard now that you pay for the return postage unless you have a warranty that covers it.

Return Policy
Ebuyer?s return policy has been created to keep our costs down but also provide World Class service and to make the process easy for you. Please follow the procedures listed below when returning products to us:
All returns must have a valid Return Merchandise Authorization number ( RMA#). All RMA?s must be received within 10 days of the RMA issue date.
Returns will take approximately 10 business days for your return to be processed once it has arrived at the warehouse.
Items must be in original packaging, in all original boxes, packing materials, manuals, blank warranty cards and all other accessories and documentation provided by the manufacturer.
We strongly recommend that you fully insure your package that you are returning. We suggest the use of a carrier that can provide you a ? proof of delivery?. Ebuyer will not be liable for items lost or damaged in transit.
All shipping back to Ebuyer is paid for by the customer. Please ensure that the box has your RMA # clearly marked on the outside of the package.
Any RMA returned found not to be defective may incur a return freight charge, this will be charged to the credit card last charged on your order.

They dont hide the fact that you have to pay for returns, so you either deal with them or not. Vote with your CC.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Community Veteran

I think it's best you check with your local trading standards.

Ignore EBuyer's T+Cs they do not matter if Trading Standards say you do not have to pay. In the same away if your good are defective you don't need the packaging and instructions to be returned either.

Chris
N/A

Paying for returns like this is standard practice, even under many warranties.

Very few companies will pay for the returns cost, especialy, when it comes to selling bottom price budget eqipment.

If your where to return it due to being defective (not 100% functional, or 0% fucntional), then you could likely regaing the costs later.

However, if a customer puchgases equipment, and just doesn't like it, it is usualy down to the customer at that point.

ebuyer have completed there obligation, by giving you a refund. Postage is a service, that they have no way of recovering, and as such, would likely be seen as non-refundable.
Community Veteran

Good point.

The important thing with any returns policy is to distinguish between a return due to a fault and a return due to not liking it.

Both are covered very differently under law.

Chris
bluewhale
Rising Star

as i said it's faulty

and ebuyer did not fulfill their service they did not provide me with the goods requested and will not have refunded either the return or original delivery costs.

if this is the current state of the law i could just 'deliver' faulty goods and make money by charging for the delivery.

What I don't understand is why people are defending this situation if this is the case, it seems to me to be wrong/unfair and anti competative.
N/A

To be fair, you seem to be very inconsistant in why your feel they are unfair.

In your first post, you discribe the item as "duff" and "rubish", however, in your last post, you state they sent you incorrect items.

If they are incorrect, then yes, they should pay you for recovery, and you should contact either trading standards, or CAB for help and advice on recovering these fees.

Can you explain the full story behind what you ordered, what your received and why you no longer want it?
Community Veteran

I doubt anyone wants to defend a company like Ebuyer. I think everyone is just trying to give you thier impression of how things are. As Philip said, you should speak to trading standards or citizens advice for a definitive answer.

Chris
bluewhale
Rising Star

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/buying_over_the_internet.pdf

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/buying_over_the_internet.pdf

this seems to suggest that in the case of faulty goods 'you are entitled to ask for a full refund, including the cost of all postage and packaging'

But i'll see what the oft and trading standards have to say Sad