Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How big!

home99
Grafter

How big!

Hi all,

Longshot I know but here goes. I left my son on the PC for an hour and when I returned it was running extremely slow. Of course he denies all knowledge of any problems (he's 5 so I forgive him).

Anyway I noticed that 4GB of data had arrived from nowhere and checking through all my files one by one I noticed that Dr Watson had created a text file 4GB in size!!
I couldn't open it so just deleted and now everthings fine.

Any ideas why such a big text file would be created?

The text file was created in C/DocumentsandSettings/AllUsers/Applications/Dr Watson

Cheers

Dave
3 REPLIES
N/A

How big!

Dr. Watson is a diagnostic program which is built into windows. It has very little use on a home computer, and your best bet would probably be to remove it all together. It sounds like an error occoured, which DRW logged, creating the large text file - but as I have little knowledge of windows I am not sure what the error could have been.
N/A

How big!

An error has occured obviously hehe, and your little lad has told it to create a log file (most likely a symbol table dump) and those files can be huge. Its just a more comprehensive error log option that some vendors of software ask for, I wouldnt worry about it Wink

You can remove the option by editing your registry to stop this happening again.

Hive: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Key: SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DrWatson
Name: DumpAllThreads
Type: REG_DWORD
Value: 0 disable
Value: 1 enable

The DumpSymbols value controls whether Dr. Watson should dump the contents of the symbol tables during an application error :

That should force the use of only mini-logs although I am no expert on this.

There are other registry tweaks to remove it as the above poster mentioned.
You can find the documentation here

Hope this helps.
home99
Grafter

How big!

Thanks very much guys. Appreciate it.