cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hosted Domains: IP Address

N/A

I have three domains hosted on my PlusNet account and they all seem to have the same IP address (when queried using a DNS check). Is that correct? It seems to work OK. Only noticed this when I was setting the A record having gone back to using OneAndOne's name servers (the domain registrations remain with OneAndOne).
2 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Hello,

I've moved this to a more suitable forum where hopefully someone will be able to provide some help fo you.

Chris
Community Veteran

They all have the same IP because they are all served by the same webserver (actually it's multiple load-balanced webservers but they all resolve to and listen on, the same IP address).

This is how multiple domains can be hosted and also how everyone can have their own URL www.username.plus.com. They do not require a separate IP address as the webserver determins what webspace to direct a browser to by the URL name. If it was necessary for every domain to have a separate IP, then PN would need 100000s of separate IP's all being listened on by multiple Apache webserver processes and that would not be feasable to do.

If the domain is hosted on your www webspace the IP address will be homespages.plus.net (212.159.9.131) which is the same as the IP address for www.thehortons.plus.com and anyone elses, for ccgi, it's ccgi.plus.net (84.92.1.4).