cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Networking

N/A

Home Networking

I've tried looking and although I'm sure it's here somewhere I can't find anything to help ... So here goes....

I'm thinking about installing a Home Network with access points in each room of the house. I've got plenty of Cat5 cable and RJ45 sockets etc.

What router and ethernet switch would work as a good combination? (I'm waiting for ADSL to be enabled on my exchange)

I'm looking at putting in about 10-12 point (5-6 double sockets) around the home. Although I only have 4 PC's at the moment I'd like to be able to install an MP3 server PC for music to other rooms.

I'm also keen on being able to use MSN Messenger so I assume I'll need to do a lot of configuration.

Thanks for any help in advance.
10 REPLIES
N/A

Home Networking

if your planning to use 10 sockets you will probably require another switch (maybe go for a gigabit switch from linksys so it will be with u and not outdate)

to use msn messanger you will not need to do any configeration (for just typing)

however you will need to do some port forwarding to allow YOU to send files and for YOU to send voice (i think) but you shuold be able to get all of them from OTHERS with out having to set up anything.

if ur planning a large scale network within ur home, maybe you should set up a gateway computer, such as linux with iptables installed to act as a good firewall for you..

Router /modem -> linux box -> switch -> network

this way you have good protection for all your computers

Buzzons
N/A

Home Networking

Can I ask what people use Gigabit ethernet at home for?

Even at this day in age, 10Mb is still more than enough.
Community Veteran

Home Networking

Can I ask what people use Gigabit ethernet at home for?

Backing up my systems to a network drive Wink It does make a diference compared to 10 & 100 networks.

However for normal surfing and multiple PC access to a shared router 10M is more than adequate.
N/A

Home Networking

Thanks for the advice ... Great help! Cheesy ... Thanks

To be honest I've never used Linux, would it be hard to configure? I have an old P2 400MHz lying around somewhere, would that be good enough to use for the Linux system or would you suggest using one of my faster computers?

Cheers again!
N/A

Home Networking

But it won't benefit single drive systems.

The IDE bus speed is one speed, but read and write time is usualy far slower.

The only time I have seen Gigabit ethernet of any use is in a video editing suite. Two RAW DV streams coming in and one being written back to storage at the same time.

We had Gigabit ethernet in my old office between the server and the switch. The only time it provided a beneifit was at the end of the month when Ghost images where produced. Normal traffic had no benefit.
N/A

Home Networking

I don't think I'd bother with a Gigabit network because all my PC's have 10/100 cards installed already so to gain any benefit I'd need at least 2 computers with 10/100/1000 cards in and I don't think I have a need for it.

Any ideas about the P2 and Linux?
Community Veteran

Home Networking

Not wanting to drift too far off the subject but...

The IDE bus speed is one speed, but read and write time is usualy far slower.

Never mentioned IDE Wink SCSI and SATA here. I've got 2 systems linked via Gigabit and it does make a difference with backups.

But as I said for normal use 10/100M is more than adequate.

As long as you use good Cat5e cable (thats 5e not standard cat5) then your cabling will be compatible with Gigabit ethernet at a later date should you want to upgrade. Just keep your cable runs to under 50meters.

Any ideas about the P2 and Linux?

A p2 400 is more than person enough to act as a firewall. But Linux does require a lot more effort and knowedge to get things configured. There are dedicated Linux distros that are geared towards just running as a firewall so that may be your best bet. Smoothwall is one such product, so if you into a bit of fun, setup your P2 box and install it and see what happens - and best of all its FREE!
N/A

Home Networking

Cheers guys. Thanks for your help...

Looks like I'd better get downloading and learning fast!
N/A

Home Networking

gigabit means it will just be nice.. and the price difference between gigabit and 100/10 switches is minimal now so why not go with the extra speed Wink

the 400Mhz would be ideal for Linux Wink just chuck in to NIC cards and u have your self a gateway Wink

and.. gigabit is usefull on PATA drives as it means the stack is cleared faster than on a 100mbit so :p

and who has PATA any way SCSI or SATA.. raptors Wink
N/A

Home Networking