cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Network with Sub Domains Need Advice

N/A

I have setup a home network sucessfully. I used a Router (D-Link DSL 604+). It also acts as my DHCP server. I have setup an MSDN liscensed Microsoft Small Business Server 2003 machine. This has DNS setup on it.

Plus Net have given me a Static IP for my router. The Router than DHCP's the rest of the 5 machines. I have a local domain name that was allocated to me when I setup the server (aingarans.local). My machines can be individually accessed by using their sub domains (e.g. maggi.aingarans.local, belldandy.aingarans.local). What I want to do is have my machines accessed indiidually from the outside (from the internet). So I have a domain : aingaran.plus.com and have each machine accessed individually (e.g. maggi.aingaran.plus.com)...

How would I go about doing this. I spoke to PlusNet they were quite rude and said that it wasn't their job to provide Consultancy Services. They did say that they can give me a block of IP addresses free of charge. So that is a start. What else do I have to do?

I also want to setup exchange server thats built into Small Business Server. How do I go about doing that?
12 REPLIES
N/A

I dont know why anyone would want there pcs accecsed from the net unless you want to be hacked.

Normaly you only want certain pc accesed from outside like a webserver or a mail server. To set them all up would be silly. What you are after is to have your domains DNS hosted on your own server so when someone request a connection to domain subdomain the dns looks at your server and get the ip for the sub domain.

If you explain what you are trying to do we can give you a better idea of how to do it. What you are asking is dangerous even if you know what you are doing and the fact you have to ask shows you dont.
N/A

Yeah... your right... I'm not too sure about what I'm talking about. I've spoken to a few people about it and they all say that I should only have my Small Business Server available to view. I spoke to PlusNet they have given me a set of IP addresses. What I'm gonna do is to get another domain name and set the DNS records so that it points to the server. That way I'll be safe (kinda).

How do i go about modifying the DNS Records so that the Mail is delivered to my Home e-mail server. How do I also setup the DNS so that a certain domain name points to my ip address. How do I also setup the sub-domains on the server as you said beforeHuh Thankyou very much for your help Cheesy

Bob
N/A

Exchange is the easy bit you set the smtp to +net and set your mail options to smtp. You then need to forward port 25 to your exchange box.

I still dont see why you want to let everyone see your pc's? They can all access the internet using NAT so why do you want anyone to see them?

The normal way is to use the NAT in the router and only forward ports to any pc that needs to be on the Internet like Excahnge or a web server means that any attack can only come in on those ports so reducing the risk of attack.

You never ever let every pc be accessable from the internet as the risk is too great. The same is true of DNS to use internal DNS increases the risk as updating DNS can be dangerous on its own.

If you could just tell us why you want the pc's seen on the internet we may understand
N/A

Right...

So far I have set it up as follows:

-4 machines connected to router. Router has IP address. One of the machines is a Small Buisness Server.
-No DHCP (All Static IP's - local Ip's - in the range 192.168.0.1-5)
-The small business server has Exchange Server installed on it.

My query... How do i get the Exchange server to work in this setup? I have forwarded all necessary ports to the internal IP address of the machine (192.168.0.5) via the configuration thing on the router.

When I try and access the site: 81.174.239.29 (IP address of Router)... nothing happens.

help!
csogilvie
Grafter

From inside your LAN, you will not be able to access anything inside the LAN through the External IP of the router.

However, from my connection it is working fine and I get a welcome to Windows Small Business Server page. A useful tip, which I use for testing the router is to use the Shell Server and use lynx on that to browse and / or telnet. This will show if the router is working. Details on setting up the CGI/Shell access is available in this tutorial
glyndev
Grafter

To see how your site is working try using a free proxy server such as http://proxy.guardster.com/ then you see exactly what anyone else surfing your site see's
N/A

IT WORKS!!!!

Oh My GOd... thanx guys for pointing this out to me. i didn't need to request a new set of Ip addresses then!! But What the hell I have a spare one now.

The thing is... if I set my laptop to access the exchange server at 81.174.239.29 from within the network (as you described) it doesn't work. However I need it to connect to my exchange server from my internal network (when I'm home) and an external network (when I'm at University)... Does that mean I have to change the server details EACH time i connect from a different location...Huh

Is this possibleHuh How do I go about doing such a thingHuh

Thank you all very much for your help so far! Smiley You lot are better than the microsoft people... they said i was bonkers and told me to shove off... PlusNet weren't to keen to help out either (not really their job though)...

Thanx even more

Bob
csogilvie
Grafter

I use an email client and web client with Profiles - so basically at home I just use the "Home" profile and when at Uni I use the "Uni" profile. This means its set up to use the Uni's wwwcache in one and not use it in the other.
N/A

Your server is wide open do you know?

I can log onto your web page on port 80 and get the network config and remote web workspace. Unless you intend for everone to get this far you must close port 80. It only takes someone to guess the password and they are in.

test your system here https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2
N/A

Its supposed to be that way... everyone should be able to access that stuff and get that far... however... without the password they will be a bit stuck... Its like the built in company website... Well... it IS a website... so I suppose its intended for people to come in and do stuff on!! I am open for attack just as any other web page server is open for attack... What I might do is block port 80 and do things via SSL... its kerberos encrypted aswell (microsoft claims)...

thanx for your help
N/A

NO

This is a public forum so I cant print the problems but just believe me that you have at least two vunrabilities open and I would block port 80 until you have fixed them.

You must apply all the latest patchs.

You were asking about email you can keep your basic setting at work and when out log on to
https://aingaran.plus.com/public/ to get your mail via exchange
N/A

The latest critical updates required

http://www.winbeta.org/winbeta/index.php