cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Network Problems

N/A

Home Network Problems

Hi All

Further to my other post ( ORIGO ADSL Router ) AS far as internet connection sharing goes all seems to be fine. But this netorking problem has got me baffled, can anyone help? This is the setup: I have three computers connected to the ADSL Modem/Router via RJ45 cables from each ones network adapter, all three are running Windows XP, each has it's own computer name, and all three are in the same workgroup. All three are connected in the same way, so no one paricular computer is direct to the internet with the others accessing through that one. It appears that all three are designated as 'client'. I ran the network wizard on my computer first, then on my sons, and then on my daughters. In Network places on my computer it shows the three computers in the workgroup, but there is no access, it also shows the workgroup on my daughters computer, but no access, and there is nothing at all in the folder on my sons computer. If I click on ' Show all computers in the workgroup' it just beeps.

How can I verify if one is designated as 'Host', and how can I delete all network stuff, and start again, is there a simple solution? If I go to the network connections folder, and right click on each connection, the option to delete is not available.
It's driving me nuts....can anyone help? Sad

Ken Lingard
24 REPLIES
N/A

Home Network Problems

Are you running a firewall/firewallsHuh, A firewall could allow internet access but stop networking access dependant upon how it is set up.
N/A

Home network problems

Yes, I'm running zone alarm, the free version, and I think the modems firewall is enabled.

Ken
Community Veteran

Home Network Problems

Disable all your firewalls untill you are happy that your network is working to your liking. Then let them back in one at a time and see if they effect things.
I had to tell zone alarm here to allow the IP addresses of my machines otherwise it was blocking them.
N/A

Home Network Problems

Thanks for the reply's. I turned off zone alarm on one of the computers, and shortly after, that computer appeared in network places with access to it's shared files.
I have checked the IP addresses, and all three have the same address. How did you do it? in zone alarm, to get it to accept the other computers?
When I put zone alarm back on, I couldn't access it any more.

Thanks

Ken
Community Veteran

Home Network Problems

They should all have different addresses not the same one for each?
What you do with Zonealarm is to click on the Firewall tag then click the add button and select IP range from the options given.
Enter the range of addresses for your network . In my case I entered 192.168.0.0 to 192 168.0.9
You may have a different range depending on the make of your router.
N/A

Home Network Problems

If you are going to put specific IP addresses of the other machines on your network into Zone Alarm, these will have to be set as TRUSTED otherwise you will be back in the same position. IP's will have to be static configured to do this.
If you are going to add a range of IP's, don't forget to miss out the routers IP address, other wise you will be giving that "trusted access"
N/A

Home Network Problems

There is no need to miss out the router.

Routing means that the source address will allways be the IP of the machine the connection coming from. The data just steps through your router, with no adjustments to the source address.

Zonealarm will not know that your router was part of the chain of nodes the data passed through, unless you perform a traceroute. Even then, zonealarm just sees a reply from the router (nothing more).
N/A

Home Network Problems

There is no need to miss out the router.

Routing means that the source address will allways be the IP of the machine the connection coming from. The data just steps through your router, with no adjustments to the source address.

Zonealarm will not know that your router was part of the chain of nodes the data passed through, unless you perform a traceroute. Even then, zonealarm just sees a reply from the router (nothing more).

Of Course, I stand corrected. It isn't nescesary.
N/A

Home Network Problem

Thanks for the input guys. I sussed out the IP addresses with zone alarm, but as you say, they would have to be static, once a computer is shut down and re-started the IP address is different, what range of IP addresses would I need to enter to cover this? the IP address for the web for central office is 10.0.0.2. amd the IP adresses that came up on each computer are 10.0.0.3. 10.0.0.9.
and 10.0.0.11. If I entered all the IP addresses between 10.0.0.3 and 10.0.0.12 inclusive.as trusted , would this cover for all subsequent computer shutdowns and re-starts?

Thanks again chaps

Ken
Community Veteran

Home Network Problems

Yes it should do. What is happening is that the router is allocating the IP's as required so if you select the range that it covers then you should be fine.
N/A

Home Network Problems

To get acces to files you need to have a shared folder or connect to a admin share. Often the problem is setting up the passwords etc. If pc 1 only has one user who is admin and the directories have security set to that user then other users wont be able to connect with giving a password/username.

It is dangerous to allow everyone access to a folder as if a hacker got in it would make it easy for them. Its often better to have a admin user on each pc with the same password. The other way is to set the shares up to only allow specific users in the workgroup.
N/A

Home Network Problem

Thanks for all the help chaps. As far as two of the computers go everything is working fine, sharing files and printer, networking O.K. I didn't get to entering the range of IP addresses in Zone alarm, and even though both of these computers have been shut down and re-started two or three times they still connect fine on the network, so I don't know whats happening there.

The third computer, I don't know what the problem is, the other two can access it's shared documents, but it can't access the network!! to access the shared files on them, it just shows nothing in the network places, and if I click on 'find other computers on the network' it comes up with nothing, just beeps.

I'm wondering if there's a fault on the network adaptor, or the cable. I've tried uninstalling the adaptor, and re-installing it again, but it makes no difference. I think the next thing is try another cable, then another network card.

Anyway thanks again for the help and advice.

Ken
N/A

Re: Home Network Problem

I doubt it is a hardware issue, as the other two machines see the third and can access files. So don't go running off and buying more cable/LAN cards yet.
Community Veteran

Home Network Problems

Yes sound advice from cqg4uzg. If you really want to prove the cable and card are Ok then just swap them with a card or cable from one of the known working machines.
But I would suspect that you have a config problem somewhere.