passwords off and yet two of the PC's can ping the others but can't
be pinged themselves,

Any ideas

tia

Karl
7 REPLIES
N/A

Home Lan -- Ping problem

have they all got unique names - I went to a customers house once who wanted to network their laptop and home PC, both had the same name so conflicted with each other.

if they are all unique run

ipconfig /all

on a command line and check they all have IP addresses that start 169.x.x.x (which is the default address scope for XP machines that dont see a DHCP server and are set to get IP addresses manually)
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 19

Home Lan -- Ping problem

The fact that they can ping the other machines suggests that they have got proper IP addresses and the right sub-net masks other wise they would not be able to find the other machines at all.

Are you trying to ping by name or IP address? What error message do you get. If you are trying to ping by name, try using "ping -a computer name" this will show if the name can be resolved to an IP address. "No response" implies that the IP address does not respond, try doing a "tracert" to be sure that there is no silly routing.

You do not say if there is a DHCP server or router involved. Have you entered IP addressess manually or are they all configured for DHCP allocated addressing? As noted above (deltd], if XP does not get a DHCP response it should[/i ]automatically generate a 169.x.x.x address, though I'm told this can be disabled through registery settings. It would be worth while doing ipconfig /all (in a dos prompt) to compare the settings of each machine. I do not know how the auto generated addresses do not clash! Then try doing pings by IP address (assuming you've been using names). If this works then you have a name resolution problem and this is where knowledge runs out if you do not have a router with DNS. Its now down to XP's own name resolution services and I've forgotten how they work.

If IP address pinging does not work then it sounds like there is some port blocking taking place. Are you sure that Window's own firewall is disabled? I'm considering the possibility that you may have (unintentionally) more than one fire wall in place. Note that XP SP2 turns windows firewall on by default, unlike SP1 which does not.

Hope this helps,
Good luck.
Kevin
seasider
Dabbler

Thanks for help

Thanks for the responses.

I've been away on a long weekend and I've got the problem sorted now.
Not sure which bit fixed it but I setup everything again from scratch and

1) put IP addresses in "hosts" file
2) install the IPX/SPX protocol
3) Click the enable NetBios over TCP/IP option

All I know is that XP home edition seems a lot harder to network than
some of the older systems I've worked with.

Thanks again for the help.
N/A

Home Lan -- Ping problem

XP home was never designed to be networked, thats why there is a PRO version, which is Smiley
seasider
Dabbler

XP v XP Pro

regarding XP pro for networking,
It's a fair comment that microsoft intend to direct XP Pro, especially business users.

But that leaves millions of home users with an Expensive OS that is crippled.
Surely that's not the way to do business and possibly why people have a low opinion of Microsoft as a company. :?
debaser_uk

Home Lan -- Ping problem

Dude,

You don't need a hosts file or IPX installed. IPX is just Novell's networking protocol. You already have TCP/IP protocol running on the machines which should be enough for you. It's just going to be an extra resource used up with no gain. Also enabling the Netbios names probably isn't needed as all your PCs are on the same network but it won't do any harm. I guess tho if it's all working then why mess with it. Except that If you're like me you'll will need to tinker until it's all perfect!!
Community Veteran

Home Lan -- Ping problem

XP home was never designed to be networked, thats why there is a PRO version, which is Smiley

XP Home does have networking included, but certain features are disabled, such as password protecting network shares.

The new `lite` version of XP that is only sold in certain markets where piracy is rife does not have many networking features, I believe it lacks both file and printer sharing for example. However this is not available for the UK.

Chilly