cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home LAN + Domain Controller

Firejack
Grafter

Hi. Looking for some feedback on my new network setup suggestion :arrow: http://www.firejack.plus.com/new-network.htm

Any thoughts and comments appreciated Smiley
4 REPLIES
N/A

I'm fairly certain that your Domain Controller can handle the network traffic caused by a handful of users. A Domain Controller is an Authentication Server and contains/maintains a database (Active Directory) of all the "objects" within your domain, I think it'll cope!
N/A

I cant get my head around your setup. If you have a router unless its very high security there isnt a need for another firewall.

I windows 2000 domain controller with 512 of ram will run about 30,000+ users and act as a dhcp webserver etc. So your well over speced all round
Firejack
Grafter

I'm replacing the ADSL Router/Modem (number 2) with just an ordinary ADSL Modem. The problem is the Router is fairly old (2 years) and you don't have full control over what it does. Its very picky about sharing ports. You can only assign them to one computer once you open them WAN side of the Router. Plus the dam thing responds to ICMP packets and there is no way to stop that. Very frustrating when you are trying to hide your computer from the Internet.

So for now imagine its just an ADSL Modem... as this is what it will be soon Wink
michaelscott
Grafter

Why is the modem connected to the XP machine and not the firewall router? It doesn't make sense.

An Athlon 650 is more than capable of running all of the services you require. At home I have a PIII600 RedHat box that runs fine as a PDC, file server, print server, web server, ftp server and UT2004 server.