Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hibernation problem and visual basic

shermans
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I have a problem with hibernation. My system hibernates ok but then wakes up for no reason at all during the night and stays awake. At first I thought it was being woken up perhaps by my router, so "disabled" the LAN connection before hibernating - it seemed to work, but after a couple of days the old problem came back. So I did the same with the boradband connection with the same result.

Having "googled" for help, it appears that there is a Visual Basic code for "SetSystemPowerState" which may have something to do with the probem. Knowing little or nothing about Visual Basic, can anyone suggest whether this may be causing the computer to react to some other factor like signalling on the telephone line ? How can I stop the machine from waking up before I want it to without scrambling under the desk to find the power socket ? It is easier just to shut down !! Evil

Thanks for any ideas.
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran

I doubt that has anything to do with it as when hibernated, no applications are actually running, only the BIOS can wake the system up or you pressing the power button.

Check your BIOS and disable any wake-up possibilities (wake up on lan for instance). Also try disconnecting ALL cables to the laptop and see if it still wakes up.

Also check you are running the latest BIOS.
shermans
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Thanks for the reply. At first, I got excited because I was sure your suggestion was the solution. I therefore checked the BIOS (it is a relatively new computer) but unfortunately I could find nothing about Waking Up at all anywhere in it which surprised me. So there was nothing to turn on or off.

I will try it again tonight by climbing under the desk and physically disconnecting the cables to telephone, to broadband router and to my LAN - the problem incidently is with my desktop, not my laptop which does not wake up except when asked to do so !

I wish I could have found something in the BIOS to stop it.

Thanks for the suggestion.
N/A

Hibernation

Hi Sherman,
I have always used hibernation with no problems but have just bought a new computer Philips freeevents MT1700 and it does the same I thought it was me forgeting to turn it to hibernation at first, but I now have to turn it off instead.
Not really a problem, though I would like to know why.
Regards Anne