cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi Fi speakers connected to PC ?

N/A

I have 2 speakers which were used for my old hifi, thier sony and in good condition. I was wondering if i can connect that to my PC?

The speaker connection is them gold wiring not sure what thier called but usualy connection. Is thier any tool i can buy for my PC that can make me use my hifi speakers as my sound outout and not the normal speakers we buy for PC ?
11 REPLIES
N/A

You can rewire the 2 speakers to use an old computer plug

The computer audio plug is the one on the far left

If you have a spare one of these you can splice it and use it to connect 4 cables.

Each speaker should have 2 cables and the computer plug only has a visible 2, but in actual fact it has 4. So you can easily wire up 4 different cables to the audio plug (I have just done it recently because I have lost all my audio to left/right cables lol)

Its pretty straight forward, but the cheapest and easiest way is to just do it yourself by slicing it up and reconnecting red/black from the left speaker to 1 of the computer audio plug cables and the right speakers cables to the other one.

Otherwise you will have to buy an amp or a subwoofer or similar to forward the speakers to a box which then allows a cable (Same as in the pic) to hook up from the PC to the same box. This allowing the PC to use both speakers.

You can purchase the above cables from Asda etc. Although I would suggest you find some old computer speakers with the same plug as shown above and just do it yourself with some tape and patience. It will work Wink

Goodluck

------

Here is one I made earlier if it helps.

-----
shellsong
Grafter

If the leads have phono plugs on the end you could use something like this if it suits your computer http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=44057&&source=14&doy=14m5
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

I assume that old speakers don't have a power feed as they were fed from an amplifier.
In which case you may have problems as I don't believe the standard sound card in a PC is capable of driving standard hifi speakers.
shellsong
Grafter

Good point-- an amplifier would probably be needed in between unless the speakers are Lowthers or of similar efficiency, so the connector requirement is completely changed!
N/A

That connector looks cool, seems I was beaten to it yet again.. Damn manufacturers lol
pimpernel
Grafter

Forget all about splicing cables etc.
HiFi speakers need to be connected either to a receiver (Pre-amp + Power amp + tuner in a single unit) or to a standard amplifier (Pre-amp + power amp in a single unit) or to pre-amp + power amp seperates.
A quality sound system makes a tremendous difference for game playing over the £3 squeaky powered speakers normally found on a computer.
shellsong
Grafter

A pre-amp is hardly necessary-- the computer soundcard is normally sufficient in that respect and can provide a watt or so of output, it's just that a lot of so called HiFi speakers are so inefficient that they practically need sufficient power to run a small electric fire whereas efficient horn loaded speakers can produce concert volume on less than a watt
N/A

Have to agree - you would need to use an amp to get a decent sound out of hi-fi speakers - although any old amp(or stereo which accepts external inputs) would do the trick. If you don't have something like that lying about, you would be much better buying (as suggested by shellsong) some decent (either amplified or unamplified) PC speakers.
N/A

cheers for all your replies guys...i guess ill have to stick with normal PC speakers....cant be asked going through all this Shockedops: dont have time at present

but will look into this sooon
N/A

Have to say its worth it if you get around to it.
Had a rather large party a couple of weeks ago, and by running my PC through a big Technics system, we had iTunes belting out whatever we wanted loud enough and long enough to warrant a very official letter from the council Shockedops:
If you are into gaming, imagine the fun with thundering bass and virtual surround sound (although it is more people friendly to use headphones)
N/A

Also generally Hi-Fi speakers are rated at 8 ohms and PC speakers 4 ohms, So if you tried connecting the speakers straight to the sound card, (if you had the right connectors) there would'nt be enough power to power the speakers.

Like someone suggested though, use a Normal Stereo (cd or tape player type thing) with an Input, then use the output from the soundcard, into the stereo then into the speakers, I use the same sort of thing at home and it works great!