cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with torrent configuration

N/A

Hi,

I need some help with setting up my bit torrent client, BitTornado.
We used a DG834 netgear router and ports 6881-6999 are fowarded to my computer, i believe these are the default torrent ports. On my computer i am running Zone Alarms security suite and i have accepeted the ports and created rules for them to be allowed. I still get really bad torrent speeds even one 1000 leechers are available i seem only to be able to connect to a couple. I have tried turning Zone Alarms off, and using Norton. Still the same Sad am i doing somthing wrong?

any advice and tips appreciated!
8 REPLIES
N/A

No mate, you aint doing nothing wrong!

Welcome to the fabulous world of Plusnet :lol:

Are you a + or a premier customer?
N/A

Is + unlimited bandwith? If so i think thats me i have a 2meg unmetered connection.. Does this give me a disadvantage?
N/A

do you pay £14.99 or £21.99 per month?

BB+ is a definite disadvantage, as it is no good for bittorrent!
N/A

think my dad pays £22 a month.
Alecto
Grafter

If it's the £21.99 broadband premier package, you should get decent speeds on torrents for a lot of the time if you avoid the evening (4pm to 12).

This guide to torrents may be of some help in setting it up, forwarding ports etc.. I use Azureus and don't know bit tornado, so can't be specific about that.

Azureus has a test tool to check that the port forwarding is done OK and your firewall isn't blocking the torrent. Check to see if bit tornado has one.

And don't use the default ports - instead of 6881, for example, use 36881 or something else far away from the default, as many sites block the default ports for the common torrent clients

As a test, try downloading the bottom torrent on this list for ten minutes. It's harmless, and should reach a decent speed in that time if you're set up properly. I've just tried it this morning and it reached over 100k within a couple of minutes before I stopped it.
N/A

just to warn you, its not unlimited (anymore) if you want fully uncapped, go with Zen or AOL *eek*, PN will start to winge if you do somthing aroun 70 gig / month (i cant remeber the figures, im sure some one can post the FUP here)
N/A

cheers geoff,

i went through that guide and nothing seems to have changed still really low speeds of below 10kbps. Is this because im not connected to many peers? Azureus says for one paticular download i am connected to 20 (646), the NAT tests work fine. My mate has tried this torrent and averages 50kbps on his 512k connection. Any other ideas? Sad
Alecto
Grafter

Did you try the test torrent that I linked to?
If you've got green faces on azureus, you should be getting over 100k downloading that.
If you've got green faces but can't get a decent speed on it, then either Pn is throttling you, or it's the BT network.